Hyderabadi biryanis are subtle in taste and totally delicious! Hyderabadi Murg Dum Biryani in kacchi style is one such absolutely flavourful biryani.
Biryani is prepared in two ways, one where the meat is fully cooked before dum which is called akhni ki biryani and the other where the meat is just marinated overnight and used raw in the dum process which is called kacchi ki biryani. The rice to be used in this case is presoaked and half cooked.
Here I have presented the kacchi ki biryani which actually tastes absolutely delicious and subtle. I have always loved this type of biryani and just recently after I had the opportunity to taste such a biryani at a particular restaurant, I was dying to try it out.
As I have mentioned earlier, after preparing biryanis for the last so many years and having watched some real authentic biryani being made in Hyderabad and Lucknow on TV shows, I just tried making it with minimum spices and some instincts!
Well, it turned out just as I had expected and is one of the best among all the biryanis I have prepared till date. Still, this depends on personal choice, as my family feels that all the other ones I have prepared till date are equally delicious!
For some more delicious biryanis, do take a look at the following recipes too…..
- Hariyali Murg Biryani
- Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani
- Jhatpat Vegetable Biryani
- Chicken Dum Biryani
- Veg Hyderabadi Paalak Soya Biryani
- Vegetable Dum Biryani
Here’s the recipe for the authentic and totally delicious Hyderabadi Murg Dum Biryani (Kacchi Style) ….
Prep Time : 35 min
Cooking Time : 35 min
Cup Used : 200 ml
Serves : 10 – 12
- 1 kg Chicken (With Bone)
- 6 Potatoes …. Optional
- 10 Medium Onions …. Thinly sliced
- Oil For Frying The Onions
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves…. Roughly torn
- 4 tbs Ghee
- 3-4 drops Kewra Essence
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Saffron strands
- Whole Wheat Flour as required for making the dough
For The Marinade :
- 2 1/2 cups Fresh Homemade Curds
- 1 1/2 cup Fried Onions
- 3 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 Spicy Green Chillies…. Slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Spicy Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Corriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves… Roughly torn
- 1/2 cup Corriander Leaves… Chopped
- 3 tsp Salt …. Approx
For The Rice :
- 5 cups Raw Basmati Rice
- 4.5 ltr Water
- 4 Cloves
- 4 sticks Cinnamon (1″each)
- 4 Green Cardamoms
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 tsp Salt
For The Tempering :
- 1 cup Oil
- 4 CLoves
- 4 sticks Cinnamon (1″ each)
- 3 Green Cardamoms
- 2 Black Cardamoms
- 6 Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 Mace
- 4 Bay Leaves
- To make the Hyderabadi Murg Dum Biryani in Kacchi Style, we first need to prepare the chicken for dum.
- Wash the chicken thoroughly and drain out all the water. Cut into medium sized pieces and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add to it all the ingredients mentioned for the marinade and give it a good rub.
- Now, either the chicken can be marinated overnight and stored in the refrigerator in which case the fried onions should be added the next day, some time before cooking, or it can be marinated 2-3 hours before cooking where the fried onions can be added at the same time.
- Heat the milk and add the saffron strands to it and set aside to cool.
- The next step would be preparing the rice for the biryani. Rinse the basmati rice grains twice under clean water and soak in sufficient water for about half an hour.
- Boil the above mentioned quantity of water for cooking the rice and add all the whole spices and salt to it.
- When the water starts boiling, drain the soaked rice grains and add them to the water alongwith the lemon juice.
- Keep the flame high and give it a good stir.
- Once the water starts boiling again, reduce the heat to medium so that there is a slight boil to the water.
- Check the rice within about 2-3 minutes. If the rice is about 70% cooked, i.e. on smashing the grain with our fingers if the rice splits into two and we see a slight uncooked grain within, it is the right time to drain it from the boiling water.
- Set the drained rice aside till further use.
- In the meantime start deep frying the sliced onions in batches to get birista, adding a pinch of salt each time to hasten the browning and to make the onions a bit crispier.
- Drain the onions from the oil as soon as they turn slightly golden brown.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into two halves. Fry them in the same oil for about 3-4 minutes, after all the onions are done. Drain and set aside.
- Next, place a flat iron griddle on the stove top and start heating it on low flame, for the dum.
- At the same time, to assemble the biryani, heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the oil for tempering to it.
- When it heats up, add the mentioned whole spices to it.
- As soon as they splutter, add the half fried potatoes and the marinated chicken alongwith all the marinade and immediately turn off the heat.
- Spread all the cooked rice over this chicken mixture so as to cover the chicken completely.
- Top with ghee and roughly torn mint leaves and the kewra essence. Spread the remaining birista over the rice.
- With the handle of a ladle, make four vertical holes in the rice and pour the saffron milk equally into them. Seal the holes lightly with the rice.
- Place a tight lid over the pan and seal all edges with a roll of kneaded dough (Made from the flour).
- Place this pan over the hot griddle for the dum, keeping the flame high for the first 5 minute and then on low for about 30 minutes more.
- After the said time switch off the flame and keep the pan covered as it is for at least about 15-20 minutes. Open the lid and give it a light mix.
- Serve this delicious Hyderabadi Murg Dum Biryani in Kacchi Style with some raita and an onion tomato salad by the side!