Aaloo Mutter Paneer Tikkis are delicious Cutlets made using Potatoes, Cottage Cheese and Green Peas flavoured with some very simple and minimal spices, so as to keep the original flavours intact. With winters, sweet green peas flood the markets. Though nowadays they are available all year round, in the olden days, say my childhood these would be available exclusively in the winters!
Then would start my mom’s experiments green peas dishes from Mutter Paneer, Mataar Chi Usal, Mataar Chi Rassa Bhaaji with Bajari bhaakari to green pea potato cutlets! It would be fun and I would always look forward to these simple yet yum dishes. Simplicity and having homemade food only was the norm those days! Oh! And what days were those! Simple lifestyle, fresh seasonal produce, no adulterated cereals and pulses, fresh air….. The list might never end…. Sigh!
Well it so happened that while scrounging the refrigerator for leftovers, I found a few boiled potatoes and a lilltle cottage cheese made from split milk. And as it had been quite some time that I had made any delicious finger food and of course to use up the leftovers, I decided to make some Cutlets and these were devoured in no time by the family!
For some more such yum dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
- Veg Cutlets
- Sprouted Raagi And Oats Cutlets
- Paalak Bhaji/Pakode (Spinach Fritters)
- Veggie Soya Balls Dahi Chaat
- Sabudana Wada
- Ram Laadoo
- Dahi Vada
Here’s the recipe for these delicious AALOO MUTTER PANEER TIKKI….
Prep Time : 30 min
Cooking Time : 4-5 min/cutlet
Serves : 15 Cutlets
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 2 1/4 cups Mashed Boiled Potatoes (4 Large Potatoes/Aaloo)
- 1 1/4 cup Crumbled/Grated Cottage Cheese (100 gm Paneer approx)
- 1 1/4 cup Boiled Green Peas (Mutter)
- 1/3 cup Finely Chopped Corriander Leaves
- 5 Slices Bread…. Pulsed into fresh breadcrumbs (Brown Whole Wheat/White Bread)
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt To Taste
- As Required Homemade Ghee/Oil
For The Tempering :
- 1 tbs Homemade Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 4-5 Spicy Green Chillies…. Finely Minced (To be adjusted as per preference)
- To make these delicious Aaloo Mutter Paneer Tikki, heat ghee in a pan and as it heats up, add the cumin seeds.
- As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida and the minced green chillies.
- Pulse the boiled green peas just for 1/2 a second in a mixer grinder and add it to the tempering.
- Mix well and after a minute or two, switch off the flame. Let it cool.
- To this, add the mashed potatoes, crumbled cottage cheese and the rest of the above mentioned ingredients.
- Mix well and roll into 15 equal sized Cutlets.
- Heat some ghee on a griddle and shallow fry the cutlets/tikki on medium heat till slightly browned and crisp on both sides.
- Serve these absolutely delicious Aaloo Mutter Paneer Tikkis with some Sweet And Sour Dates And Tamarind Chutney and some Corriander Mint Chutney by the side!
- Do serve some piping hot Masala Chai by the side to combat the winter chill!
For a slight variation to the above, we can replace half the quantity of potatoes with sweet potatoes or raw bananas too!
These versatile tikkis can be used to make a deliciously lipsmaking chaat too!
Just top with some fresh curds, Corriander Mint Chutney, Dates And Tamarind Chutney, Chaat Masala, some chopped onions, Nylon Sev and a garnish of chopped corriander leaves.