Hariyali Murg Biryani is a delicious and aromatic dish, made using basmati rice, spinach, fresh herbs and chicken. Throughout India, and I would say in many other countries too, one can find a variety of biryanis with different preparation methods.
There are many restaurants serving different biryanis, whether veg or non veg. Many a times we get a green chicken biryani, which I have always loved. That’s the reason I thought of making this chicken biryani using spinach and particularly the aromatic kasuri methi, which in fact imparts it’s unique flavour to the dish!
For such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too……
Here’s the recipe for Hariyali Murg Biryani……
Prep Time : 40 min
Cooking Time : 40 min
Serves. : 5
- 350 gm Chicken
- 3 Boiled Potatoes
- 3 Boiled Eggs….. optional
- 2 1/4 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 1/2 tbs Fresh Cream/Malai
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbs Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
For The Brirista :
- 4 Large Onions (5 cups Thinly Sliced Onions… Approx)
- Oil for frying the onions
For The Green Paste :
- 1/2 bunch Paalak (Spinach. ……. 2 – 2 1/2 cups Tightly packed spinach leaves)
- 3/4 cup Corriander Leaves (Dhaniya Patta/Kothimbir)
- 3/4 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- 3-4 Green Chillies…. To be adjusted as per preference
For The Marinade :
- 1 1/4 cups Fresh Curds (Yoghurt)
- Ground Green Paste
- 5 tbs Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 2 Medium Tomatoes…. Roughly Chopped
- 1 tbs Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 tsp Corriander Powder
- 3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Kitchen King Masala…. Optional (Brand Everest)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 of the birista
For Cooking The Rice :
- 2 ltr Water
- 1 Cloves
- 1 Cardamom
- 2 Black Peppercorns
- 1 piece Cinnamon (1″ Each)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2-3 tsp Lemon juice
For The Tempering :
- 1 cup Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 1 Black Cardamoms
- 4 pieces Cinnamon (1″ each)
- 1/4 Mace
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- To make Hariyali Murg Biryani, first clean and wash the chicken thoroughly in clean water. Cut into pieces of desired sizes.
- For the birista, fry the sliced onions in hot oil till crisp and slightly browned. Drain and set aside.
- Grind together the ingredients mentioned for the green paste using a very tiny quantity of water, if required.
- Mix the ingredients mentioned for marinade and add to it the drained chicken pieces. Mix well and set aside for about 1-2 hours.
- The chicken can be marinated and refrigerated overnight. But in this case, the green paste, tomatoes and the birista should be added only an hour before cooking.
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in clean water for about half an hour.
- Heat 2 ltrs of water for cooking the rice. Add to it the whole spices mentioned and the salt.
- When it reaches a rolling boil, drain the soaked rice grains and add them to the water.
- Keeping the flame high, stir with a ladle. Add the lemon juice to it.
- When the water starts boiling again, reduce the flame to medium, such that there is a slight boil to the water.
- Keep checking the rice, but do not stir much. When the grains are half cooked, drain rice and set aside.
- To cook the chicken, heat oil in a saucepan and add the whole spices to it. As soon as they splutter, add the ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add the chicken pieces alongwith the marinade. Keeping the flame high, keep stirring constantly till it reaches a boiling point.
- Cook covered stirring occasionally. When the chicken is almost cooked, uncover and cook on high flame.
- Cut the boiled potatoes into half and make vertical insicions on the boiled eggs. Add to the gravy and mix.
- The mixture will gradually release some oil and will thicken up a bit. Add the cream and mix.
- At this stage switch off the flame and set the chicken aside.
- Keep a thick griddle on the gas stove and start heating it on low flame for the dum.
- In the meantime, start layering the rice and chicken in a thick bottomed pan.
- Spread some gravy at the bottom of the pan. Layer it with about half the cooked rice.
- Spread some birista over it and some homemade ghee too.
- Now, spread the cooked chicken mixture along with the pieces, potatoes and eggs over the rice.
- Reserve a small quantity of the gravy for the topmost layer.
- Spread the remaining rice over the chicken mixture and give it a slight press.
- Spread some homemade ghee on this layer and then the reserved gravy. Sprinkle the remaining birista on top.
- Cover with a foil and close the lid tightly over the pan. If desired place some weight over the lid.
- Place this pan on the hot griddle and increase the flame to high.
- Cook the biryani on dum on high flame for about 5 minutes and then on low flame for about 10 minutes.
- While serving, scoop out the biryani from the sides so that all the layers can be served. Else, just give it a light mix and serve.
- Serve this delicious, aromatic Hariyali Murg Biryani topped with some homemade ghee alongwith some salad and the deliciously cooling Boondi Raita by the side!