Goad Poale are basically sweet pancakes made from rice flour and semolina. Goad means sweet and Poale or polo means a pancake in Marathi or Konkani language. This is a satisfying and healthy breakfast dish. A very good options for tiffins too, as it can be made easily and quickly.
I got this recipe from my neighbour, who is a Goan. Whenever she made some, she would share them with us. Eventually as my family started loving these poale, I decided to make them myself. I did make a few mistakes in the beginning with the consistency of the batter. The result would be stiff pancakes! It can be really tricky, though the whole recipe is quite easy. The secret is to make a batter of medium pouring consistency.
If you want some other healthy option for breakfast or tiffins, do try the….
2) Rawa Tandlaache Poale or
5) Sweet Potato Corn Chaat Sweet Potato Corn Chaat
- 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Semolina (fine/medium)
- 1 tbs Grated Coconut
- 5 tbs Sugar….. To be adjusted
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Homemade ghee (clarified butter) or Oil
- To make the Goad Poale, first mix together the rice flour, semolina, sugar and coconut in a bowl.
- Add sufficient water to get a batter of medium pouring consistency, not too thick and not too thin. Keep aside for atleast an hour or in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat a pancake pan and grease with ghee.
- Pour small quantities of the batter into each hollow and cover and cook for about a minute or two.
- Open lid and check if the bottom side of the poale is cooked. If it is a little browned on the bottom side, grease the top side with a little ghee and flip it over.
- Cook the flipped side till some brown spots appear on is surface.
- This indicates the poale are done. Switch off the heat and transfer to a serving tray.
- Serve hot for breakfast or pack them for lunch.
These poale taste delicious especially when served hot. It is a very good option for Kidd’s tiffins too, as the batter can be prepared beforehand and stored in the refrigerator overnight. The sweetness of the Poale can be adjusted as per preference. A tiny amount of salt is as it enhances the sweetness of the dish. Do top with some fruits or any other toppings of choice if desired.