Tomato Omelette is a Maharashtrian dish. Chickpea flour and tomatoes are the main ingredients used in this dish. A pancake is made out of it called as polaa in Marathi language, which resembles an omelette, and hence the name. A few other ingredients added to it, makes it totally delectable.
In this recipe, I have added some coloured bell peppers which are beneficial to our health and their inclusion had no effect on the original taste of the omelette. Again as Tofu is a high protein food, I have added it to this dish to increase it’s health quotient. Paneer too can be substituted here instead of tofu if desired. I have used homemade ghee to roast the omelette as it imparts a delicious flavour to the dish and is good for our health. By choice though, oil can be substituted instead!
Proteins give our body the much needed energy and keep us feeling full for long. Chickpea flour and tofu are two such ingredients, which are high in proteins. Apart from this they have certain other benefits too and hence including them in our breakfast provides our body with lots of nutrition.
For more such delicious breakfast dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Mulyaache Thaalipeeth
- Corn Oats Semolina Pancakes
- Creamy Tofu In Mint Wraps
- Healthy Fruity Sandwich
- Kobiche Bhanole
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 4-5 min
Serves : 5 omelettes
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 cup Besan (Chickpea Flour)
- 3 tbs Rice Flour
- 1 tbs Semolina
- 1 cup Water… Approx
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 1/3 cup Finely Chopped Mixed Bell Peppers (Red, Yellow, Green Bell Peppers)
- 1/2 cup Finely Grated Tofu (50 gm)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Minced Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Minced Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Corriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt
- Salt to taste
- Homemade Ghee For Roasting The Omelette
- Oil As Required
- To make this delicious Tofu Tomato Omelette, rinse all the mentioned vegetables thoroughly and drain out all the water.
- Chop all the vegetables finely and transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Add to it the besan, rice flour and semolina and well as the minced ginger and green chilli and all the spice powders.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves, black salt and some more salt to taste. Give it a good mix and add water, a little at a time.
- Mix well and add more water as required to get a batter of medium thick spreadable consistency.
- Check seasoning and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- To make the omelette, heat a cast iron griddle and spread some oil over it.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour a ladlefull of batter over it and spread lightly in circular motion with the back of the ladle.
- Drizzle some homemade ghee over it and near it’s edges and increase the flame to medium.
- Cover and cook for about a minute or two. Uncover and check whether the bottom side is well roasted.
- Flip the omelette and drizzle some ghee from the sides. Apply some pressure with a spatula so that the flipped side roasts well.
- When done, transfer the Tofu Tomato Omelette to a serving dish and serve it along with some tomato ketchup and a glass of milk for a nutritious breakfast!
Tofu, Spice Powders And Vegetables :
Besan, Rice Flour And Semolina :
Mix All The Ingredients :
Ready Batter :
Spread Batter On Griddle :
Cook Covered :
Flip When Done :
Well Cooked Flipped Side :