Gavaar Kaale Vaataanyachi Bhaaji is a Maharashtrian vegetable preparation made using Cluster beans and dry black peas. The combination of this green vegetable and the dry beans gives us a lot of nutrition and tastes delicious too.
Cluster beans fall under the category of green vegetables can be slightly bitter. We generally prefer buying the tender ones as they impart a better taste to the dish. Both the ends of these beans are to be discarded and they need to be threaded before use.
The Gavaar Kaale Vaataanyaachi Bhaaji which I am presenting here is a simple dish, made using very few spices and the jaggery and coconut added to it can be skipped, if they are to be avoided due to medical conditions. And that’s one more reason why tender cluster beans should be preferred as they are comparatively less bitter.
For some more such vegetable preparations, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Kantole Chi Bhaaji (Spiny Gourd Vegetable Preparation)
- Papdi Chi Bhaaji
- Vaal Padwal Chi Bhaaji
- Farasbi Chi Bhaaji
- Korala Vaalaachi Bhaaji
- Aluchi Paatal Bhaaji
- Alucha Phatphata
- Tondlichya Kaachryaa
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 200 gm Gavaar (Cluster Beans)
- 1/4 cup Kaale Vaataane (Dry Black Peas)
- 1 Medium Onion…. Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Tomato…. Finely Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder…. To be adjusted as per preference
- 1/2 tsp Corriander Seeds Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery….. To be adjusted as per preference
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 1 tbs Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- To make Gavaar Kaale Vaatanyaachi Bhaaji, soak the dry black peas in sufficient water overnight and rinse them well the next morning.
- Drain out all the water and cook the black peas in a pressure pan for about 8-10 whisles on high and further for about 8-10 min on low heat, adding water about a centimetre above the level of the peas.
- Sting the cluster beans beforehand and rinse and chop them into approx 1″ pieces.
- Next, heat a pan/kadhai and add oil to it. Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter, add in the asafoetida and the curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till translucent. Add the turmeric powder and mix well.
- To this add the chopped cluster beans and 1/4 tsp salt and saute.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally. Add the chopped tomato when the beans are about half cooked.
- At the same time, add in the red chilli powder, corriander seeds powder and the cumin seeds powder and mix well.
- Cover and cook further on low heat for some more time.
- When the beans are almost cooked add in the cooked black peas alongwith the water it was cooked in and mix well.
- When the beans are well cooked, add the jaggery, salt to taste and fresh grated coconut and cook uncovered, for a few more minutes till all the water in the vegetable evaporates.
- Serve this delicious and nutritious Gavaar Kaale Vaataanyaachi Bhaaji with some soft phulkas or Daal Rice accompanied by some Sukki Lasni Chatni and some Mulyaachi Koshimbir!