Paniyarams or Aappe are traditionally made using rice and urad daal. This needs soaking and grinding of ingredients. Instead of following this lengthy process, I used semolina to make instant paniyarams. Also to make it more nutritious, I added oats and ragi flour and some healthy veggies.
A healthy and quick option, for breakfast or for tiffins. If you like this recipe do try the other healthy dishes too, which are…..
1) Goad Poale
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 5 min
Serves : 5 ( yields 25-26 aappe)
Cup Used : 200 ml
For the paniyarams –
1 cup Semolina (roasted lightly and cooled)
1/4 cup Oats
1 tbs Ragi flour
1 Small carrot (grated)
1/4 cup American corn (boiled)
1/4 cup Fresh corriander (chopped)
1 sprig Curry leaves (chopped finely)
1 cup Fresh curds
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp Green chilly paste
1 tsp Fruit salt
Salt to taste
Oil or ghee for the paniyarams
For the green corriander chutney –
1/2 cup Fresh corriander
2 Green chillies
1 tbs Roasted Chanaa daal
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
1. To begin making the instant paniyarams, mix the semolina and all other ingredients except the fruit salt. Add water as required to get a thick batter.
2. Keep aside for minimum 1 hr. For tiffins, keep batter overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Heat a paniyaram pan and grease with little oil or homemade ghee (as desired) .
4. Add the fruit salt to the batter and mix well. Pour little batter with a tablespoon into each hollow and pour a little ghee on top.
5. Cover and cook for a while.
6. When the paniyarams are cooked and crispy on one side, flip and cook uncovered on the other side too till crisp. Add little ghee to each hollow.
7. When the paniyarams are cooked and crispy on both sides, switch off the flame and serve hot with green corriander chutney.
8. To make the green chutney, grind together the mentioned ingredients using little water as required and when done add the lemon juice.
To make the paniyarams still more nutritious, chopped onions and others veggies of choice can be added too. Keeping batter overnight in refrigerator or fermenting for more than an hour gives better results. Using homemade ghee for roasting gives a delicious flavour. Can be made quickly even when guests arrive at a short notice!!