POHE i.e. flattened rice, is quite nutritious as they are lactose free, heart healthy and fat free. They are a good source of iron too. Generally pohe are used in making breakfast dishes. But, are used in a variety of other dishes too, including making cutlets.
Kaanda Batata Pohe is a common and favourite breakfast dish in Maharashtra. It is quite delicious and filling and keeps one’s energy levels high for quite long periods. Addition of peanuts to this dish makes it still more delicious and nutritious.
I have shared here that recipe taught to me by my mom. In addition to potatoes, I have added here fresh green peas while cooking and some peanuts and chopped cucumbers to the garnishing along with coconut and corriander. The whole result is an extremely delicious and equally nutritious ‘Kaanda Matar Pohe’.
For more nutritious breakfast options, do go through the following recipes :
4) Goad Poale
5) Methi Thepla
Here’s the recipe for Kaanda Mataar Pohe….
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 25 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 1/2 cups Thick Pohe (Thick Flattened Rice)
- 4 Medium Onions…… Chopped
- 1 Large Potato…… Cubed
- 1/2 cup Green Peas (Mataar)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 5 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Green Chillies…… Chopped into medium pieces or slit lengthwise
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves (10 – 12)
For Garnishing :
- 1/4 cup Stir Fried Peanuts
- 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Coriander
- To make Kaanda Matar Pohe, first chop the onions and cube the potatoes. Immerse potato cubes in clean water till further use.
- Soak the pohe in sufficient water, rinse immediately and squeeze out all water from the pohe in batches and set aside.
- Or, if using a thinner variety of pohe, place them in a sieve and just drizzle with little water. Shuffle slightly and set aside till further use.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a thick bottomed pan and stir fry the raw peanuts in it. When done, set aside till further use.
- Add the mustard seeds to the same oil. As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida, green chillies and the curry leaves.
- Stir and add the cubed potatoes. Cook till the potatoes are slightly browned.
- At this stage, add the chopped onions. Add just a little salt and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the turmeric powder and stir for a while.
- Now add the green peas and mix well. Cover and cook stirring occasionally, till the potatoes and peas are fully cooked.
- Add the sugar and give it a good stir. Add the poha/flattened rice, salt to taste and mix.
- Cover and cook on low heat for a minute or two. Uncover and give it a good mix. Check the seasoning and add salt or sugar, if required.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve the delicious Kaanda Mataar Pohe topped with fresh grated coconut, crunchy stir fried peanuts and chopped cucumbers with a wedge of lemon by the side!