Garam Masala is a powdered spice mix, used in a variety of dishes from gravies to curries and kebabs and even in biryanis. Every cuisine has its own blend of spices passed down through generations.
Today we can find a number of garam masala powder sold in the market like biryani masala, fish masala, chicken masala, mutton masala, etc. For years now, I have always used my homemade garam masala for all my dishes, except for paav bhaaji and recently for chole for which I use the store bought ones.
This is a traditional masala recipe which was shared with us by our dear neighbour before my marriage. It was passed down to her by her mother. I have used this masalas for all my veg, non veg, as well as Punjabi dishes and even in biryanis! This masala is quite versatile to use and gives every dish a delicious flavour!
Here are a few dishes where this garam masala can be used….
6. Mutton Rassa
Here’s the recipe for Garam Masala….
Prep Time : 30 min
Yields : 450 gm Garam Masala
- 200 gm Corriander Seeds (Dhaney)
- 20 gm Cloves (Lavang)
- 20 gm Cinnamon (Daalchini)
- 20 gm Black Cardamom (Masala Velchi)
- 50 gm Poppy Seeds (Khaskhas)
- 50 gm Fennel Seeds (Badishep/Sauf)
- 50 gm Black Peppercorns (Kaali Miri)
- 50 gm Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 10 gm Black Stone Flower (Dagadphool)
- 10 gm Bay Leaves ….. Approx 18 leaves (Tej Paan)
- 2 tbs Mustard Seeds (Mohri / Rai)
- 1/2 Nutmeg (Jaayfal)
- 1 Star Anise (Chakriphool)
- 1 Mace (Javitri)
- To make Garam Masala, heat a kadhai and dry roast each ingredient separately on low heat stirring constantly.
- As soon as the ingredients feel hot to the touch, transfer them to a plate to cool down.
- Do not let any ingredient burn, as that will result in a spoilt masala.
- When all the ingredients are completely cooled, grind them to a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container and use as required.
For this masala, the ingredients can be sun dried too, but in today’s polluted atmosphere and lack of space this is quite difficult! The roasting process is a better option and the Masala lasts for many months!