Vegetable Dum Biryani is an aromatic and delicious rice preparation using aged basmati rice and vegetables. Throughout India, we can find various types of biryanis which give us a glimpse of the local cuisine and food habits. This is usually depicted by the ingredients used in the preparation of the particular biryani.
Vegetable biryani is made on the same lines of a non vegetarian biryani. It’s just that the meat is substituted by vegetables. Fresh and nutritious vegetables are used in the preparation of this biryani making it quite a healthy dish.
My family members are basically biryani lovers. Hence, I am always trying out some new type of biryani recipe or atleast the usual ones. Though, at most times non vegetarian biryani is preferred, sometimes a change is always good. This Vegetable Dum Biryani is very delicious and my personal favourite!
If you want to try some other biryani or pulao recipes, do go through the following recipes too!
2) Masoor Pulao
6) Veg Pulav
Here’s the recipe for the healthy and delicious Vegetable Dum Biryani……
Prep Time : 40 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 4-5
- 2 1/2 cups Basmati Rice
- 3/4 cup Green Peas
- 3/4 cup French Beans …… Chopped lengthwise
- 3/4 cup Carrots …… Chopped lengthwise
- 3/4 cup Mixed Bell Peppers (Green, Red, Yellow) …… Chopped into cubes
- 3/4 cup Cauliflower Florets
- 2 Small Potatoes ……. Cut into wedges
- 3 large Onions ……. Chopped finely
- 1 Large Tomato …… Chopped finely
- 3/4 cup Fresh Curds …… Whisked
- 12 Large Garlic Cloves
- 1″ Ginger
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Corriander Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 pinch Saffron
- Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Salt to taste
For Making Birista :
- Oil for frying
- 3 Onions ……. Finely sliced
- 1 pinch Salt
Whole spices and other ingredients for cooking with the rice :
- 2 Cloves
- 2 sticks Cinnamon (1″ inch each)
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 3 Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 3 tsp Salt
Whole Spices For Tempering :
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 3 Cloves
- 3 sticks Cinnamon (1″ each)
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Star Anise
- 1/2 Mace
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- To make Veg Dum Biryani, first wash the rice twice and soak the rice in sufficient water for half an hour.
- Boil water, atleast four times the quantity of the rice. Add the above mentioned whole spices and salt to it.
- When the water comes to a boil, drain the soaked rice and add to the boiling water and give it a good stir.
- Add the lemon juice and stir.
- When the rice is almost cooked, i.e. just one grain is remaining to be cooked, switch off the flame.
- Drain all the rice in a sieve and set aside.
- In the meantime, wash and chop the vegetables as mentioned above. Keep aside till use.
- Heat the milk and add the saffron to it. Keep aside till use.
- By the side, heat the oil for the birista in a kadhai and start frying the sliced onions. Add a pinch of salt to each batch to hasten the browning and to get crisp fried onions.
- When done, in the same oil fry the potato wedges too and set aside.
- Heat some water for boiling the vegetables.
- Boil the carrots, french beans and the cauliflower florets separately, in the boiling water and drain. Set aside till use.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil for tempering.
- First saute the chopped bell peppers in the hot oil and set aside.
- Now add the whole spices mentioned for tempering to the hot oil.
- As soon as they splutter, add the chopped onions and a little salt. Saute till onions turn a little brown.
- Grind the ginger and garlic to a fine paste and add it to the browned onions. Saute for a while.
- Now add the spice powders mentioned above and saute for a while.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook covered till they turn mushy. Add salt to taste.
- Add the whisked curds to this mixture and saute continuously on high flame till the mixture becomes a little thick.
- Add all the vegetables and give it a good stir. Cover and give it one steam.
- The biryani masala is now ready.
- Place a thick griddle on the gas stove and start heating it.
- To layer the biryani, spread some homemade ghee at the bottom of a heavy bottomed pan.
- Spread some prepared vegetable masala over it. Spread half the cooked rice over the masala.
- Roughly tear the mint leaves and spread them over the rice. Spread half of the birista too.
- Spread the remaining biryani masala over it.
- Again cover with a layer of the remaining rice. Spread the birista over this layer. Drizzle some homemade ghee over it.
- Make four vertical holes in the biryani in the four mid corners with the handle of a spoon.
- Pour the saffron milk equally in these holes.
- Cover with the layered rice.
- Cover tightly with a foil and cover with the lid.
- Place the pan on the hot griddle on high flame for the first 5 minutes and then on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and transfer the biryani to a serving bowl.
- Serve this delicious Vegetable Dum Biryani with some sliced onions and Boondi Raita.