Masoor Pulao is a dish made using whole Red lentils and Basmati rice. It is a highly nutritious dish, especially for the vegetarians as masoor is high in proteins. In fact, it provides the same amount of proteins as you might obtain from eating meat, but with lower levels of fats and cholesterol! Packed with protein, fiber, iron, folate, and other important nutrients, these lentils are a storehouse of nutrition offering you numerous health promoting benefits and longevity as well!
We used to make only Masoor daal initially. Then we got to learn this recipe from one of our neighbour, who was a Khojaa Muslim. This recipe is their speciality. It is our luck, that we had neighbours of different castes and we could share our dishes and recipes with each other! I have been lucky enough to have got the opportunity to learn different recipes from so many different people.
If you like this recipe, do give a try to the following recipes too….
3) Veg Pulav
Here goes the recipe for the Masoor Pulao……
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 45 min
Serves : 3-4
- 1 cups Basmati rice
- 1/2 cup Whole Masoor (lentils)
- 2 1/4 cups Water (for the rice)
- 2 medium Potatoes
- 2 Large Onions
- 1 large Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 tsp Corriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Homemade ghee (clarified butter)
- Oil for frying the potatoes
To be ground to a paste :
- 1/4 cup Corriander leaves
- 5 large cloves Garlic
- 3/4 inch Ginger
- 1 Green chillies (less spicy variety)
- 3/4 tsp Cumin seeds
For Tempering :
- 2 tbs Oil
- 2 Cloves
- 2 sticks Cinnamon (1 inch pieces)
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- To make the Masoor pulao, first wash and soak the masoor overnight in sufficient water. They will almost double up in quantity.
- Wash the Basmati rice and soak it in sufficient water for half an hour.
- In the meantime cut the potatoes into thin wedges. Chop the onions and tomatoes finely.
- Grind the corriander, ginger, garlic, green chillies and cumin into a fine paste.
- Heat a kadhai and add the oil.
- Deep fry the potato wedges in the hot oil and keep aside. (Saute and cook covered in a pan in less oil for a healthier option)
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the oil for tempering.
- Add all the whole spices mentioned. As soon as they splutter, add the ground green paste and saute for a while.
- Now add the chopped onions and a little salt. Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix well. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute. Cook covered till the tomatoes are done.
- Add the rest of the spice powders and mix. Add the washed and cleaned lentils. Mix and cook covered for about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Now add the drained rice and saute.
- Halfway through the cooking process, boil the mentioned water for rice. Add this hot water to pulao mixture, and salt to taste.
- Cook on high flame for a few minutes. After about 5 minutes, reduce the heat and cook covered on low flame till the rice and lentils are both cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with a drizzle of some homemade ghee. Serve a bowl of cooling Paalak Raita or just some fresh homemade curds!
- Do serve a dessert of Gaajar Halwa or just some warmed Date and Walnut Whole Wheat Brownies, topped with a dollop of Vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of some chocolate sauce!