Dhuadaar Murg is a smoke flavoured, onion tomato based chicken gravy which is quite easy to cook. The smoke effect i.e. dhua (in hindi language) gives this dish it’s particular name. The smoking technique has been used in cooking various dishes since ages. It gives the food a wonderful smoke flavour, thereby enhancing it’s overall taste.
This is one recipe which I have been cooking since many years, but started giving it the smoke flavour just some years back. Though one must be careful not to overdo it and uncover the dish after giving the smoke effect, just in a minute or two. Overdoing this step can spoil the entire taste of the dish!
For some more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
- Murg Makhani
- Methi Murg
- Kombdi Vade
- Hirvaa Kombdi Masala
- Kombdi Kaleji Sukka Masala
- Kombdi Sukka Masala
- Manglorean Chicken Masala
- Chicken Korma
- Chicken Crispy With Mushrooms
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Dhuadaar Murg….
Prep Time : 30 min
Cooking Time : 40 min
Serves : 7-8
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 kg Chicken
- 3-4 Halved Medium Potatoes…. Optional
- 4 cups Sliced Onions (4 Large Onions)
- 1 1/2 cups cups Chopped Tomatoes (3 Medium Tomatoes)
- 4 Dry Bedgi Red Chillies
- 4 Dry Kashmiri Red Chillies
- 3 Green Chillies… To Be Adjusted As Per Preference
- 1/4 cup Corriander Leaves
- 20 Cashewnuts
- 1 tbs Oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (Spicy/Kashmiri… as per preference)
- 2 tsp Corriander Seed Powder
- 2-3 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbs Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbs Kasuri Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
- Salt To Taste
Whole Spices For Tempering :
- 4 tbs Oil
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Sticks Cinnamon (1″ each)
- 2 Black Cardamoms
- 3 Bay Leaves
For The Smoke Flavour :
- 1 Charcoal
- 2 Cloves…. Roughly powdered
For Garnishing :
1/2 cup Corriander Leaves
- To make Dhuadaar Murg, wash the chicken thoroughly and drain well.
- Chop into pieces of desired size and rub in half the turmeric powder and half of the ginger garlic paste and set aside till further use.
- Next, heat a tablespoon of oil in a kadhai and roast the dry red chillies in it for a minute and set aside.
- To the leftover oil, add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
- And in the cashewnuts and chopped tomatoes and roast till the tomatoes are slightly mushy.
- Switch off the flame and cool this mixture.
- Grind it along with the green chillies, roasted red chillies and 1/4 cup corriander leaves to a smooth paste without using any water.
- Heat a pan to cook the chicken and add oil to it for tempering.
- Add the whole spices to it and as soon as they splutter, add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the remaining turmeric powder and saute. Immediately add the red chilli powder and saute for 5-6 seconds.
- Add in the ground masala and the corriander powder and saute well. It will start leaving sides in about 4-5 minutes.
- At this stage, then add the halved potatoes and mix well. Add water upto the level of the potatoes and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken and mix well. Cook covered further on medium heat, stirring occasionally till it is fully cooked.
- Add the garam masala, kasuri methi and salt to taste and cook further for 4-5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped corriander leaves.
- In the meantime, heat a piece of coal over direct flame till red embers appear on it.
- Transfer the burning coal in a small bowl and keep it in the centre of the pan, over the chicken.
- Sprinkle 2 powdered cloves over the embers and immediately pour a little oil over the powder.
- Cover immediately with a tight lid so that the smoke emitted by the coal is captured inside and let sit for two minutes.
- Uncover and remove the bowl with the coal and cover the chicken again and set aside further for atleast 15 – 20 minutes more, for all the flavours to amalgamate well.
- Serve this delicious Dhuadaar Murg with Garlic Butter Naan and some Biryani Rice by the side.
If you prefer omitting the potatoes, then add the chicken directly to the sauteed Onion Tomato Masala.