Crispy Chicken is an Indo Chinese dish available in restaurants widely in India. It is a much loved dish relished generally as a starter. The name comes from the crispiness of the chicken, attained after frying it! If you looked back in time, probably a decade ago there was just Indian food available here.
Almost during that period was this cuisine introduced here as Chinese dishes. Well, as we all know these dishes are indianised to suit our palates! And hence the name Indo Chinese! As I love mushrooms, I have added some to this particular dish which generally has just some bell peppers in it. If desired, the mushrooms can simply be omitted from the dish!
For some more delicious starter dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
- Phodshi Kolambi Chi Bhaji
- Phodshiche Vade
- Veg Cutlets
- Tisrya Vade
- Prawn Cutlets
- Cheesy Tandoori Aaloo
- Indian Tacos
- Sprouted Ragi And Oats Cutlets
Prep Time : 35 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 3-4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 500 gm Boneless Chicken
- 1/3 cup Mixed Bell Peppers…. Cubed
- 1/2 cup Spring Onion…. Cubed
- 3/4 cup Mushrooms…. Quartered or as desired
- 3/4 cup Spring Onion Greens…. Chopped
- 2 tbs Dark Soya Sauce
- Salt To Taste
- As Required Oil For frying
For The Marinade :
- 2 tsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Salt To Taste
- 4 tsp All Purpose Flour
- 5-6 tsp Cornflour
For The Tempering :
- 1/8 cup Oil For Tempering
- 8 Garlic Cloves…. Finely Chopped
- 4 Green Chillies…. Slit lengthwise
For The Slurry :
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 3-4 tsp Water
- To make Crispy Chicken With Mushrooms, first clean and rinse the chicken well and drain off all the water.
- Cut the pieces into approx 3″ strips and marinate with soya sauce, ginger garlic paste, black pepper powder and salt.
- Next add the flour and the cornflour and mix well.
- Heat sufficient oil for frying and as it heats up, add few of the marinated strips and fry on medium high to high heat till the chicken is cooked and turns slightly brown.
- Transfer the fried strips to an absorbent paper and set aside till further use.
- Next, heat a wok/pan and oil to it for the tempering. Use the remainder of the same oil used for frying the chicken.
- Add the garlic and green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the Cubed onions and saute on high till translucent.
- Add in the bell peppers and saute on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add in the quartered mushrooms and saute till they are cooked.
- To this, add the soya sauce and half of the spring onion greens and saute for a minute.
- Add the fried chicken strips and salt to taste toss well.
- Mix the cornflour with the water to get a slurry and add it to the pan and mix well.
- Saute the entire mixture on high for a minute or two and switch off the flame.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining spring onion greens.
- Serve this delicious restaurant style Chicken Crispy With Mushrooms along with some Burnt Garlic Hakka Noodles or Burnt Garlic Veg Fried Rice or just some Chicken Pulao by the side!
Pictures depicting the cooking process :