Biryani Rice is a flavourful rice preparation to be relished with Mughlai or Punjabi gravies! It is made using Basmati rice and does not have any masala like a biryani, but does give a subtle flavour of whole spices used.
The preparation process for this rice is very simple and quick too! I generally make this rice for dinner or when having guests over, as an accompaniment to Murg Makhani (Butter chicken) or Paneer Makhani or Chole Masala or even Paav Bhaaji!
For more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…..
2. Masoor Pulao
Here’s the recipe for the flavourful Biryani Rice….
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
- 3/4 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 1/2 Onions…. Sliced
- 1 1/2 cup Water…. For cooking the rice
- 2 tsp Homemade Ghee
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 3 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Green Cardamoms
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3 sticks Cinnamon (1″ each)
- 3 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Bay Leaf
- To begin making the Biryani Rice, first rinse the basmati rice in clean water and soak it in sufficient water for about half an hour.
- Slice the onions thinly and set aside till further use.
- Heat a pan and add the oil to it. When it heats up, add all the mentioned whole spices.
- As soon as they splutter, add the sliced onions and saute till transparent. Saute further till slightly browned if preferred.
- Drain the soaked basmati rice and add it to the sauteed onions. Mix lightly.
- Add salt to taste. Here, care should be taken that the taste should be slightly less salty as the rice is had with gravies or daals, which already have a perfect amount of salt!
- In the meantime boil the mentioned water for cooking the rice.
- Add this boiling hot water to the onion rice mixture. Bring it to a boil on high heat.
- As soon as the water evaporates a bit, reduce the heat and cook covered on low flame till done.
- Add the homemade ghee and stir slightly. Switch off the flame and keep covered for a further few minutes so that the rice fluffs up a bit more.
- Serve the aromatic Biryani Rice with some Punjabi or Mughlai gravies or just with some Nutri Daal Fry!
- Serve some cooling boondi raita or Paalak Raita alongside.
- Complete the meal with a dessert of warm Date And Walnut Whole Wheat Brownie topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!