Daalichi Aamti is a daal preparation from the Maharashtrian cuisine. Here, you can find different versions of the aamti in different regions, made by different communities. Daal basically forms a part of the staple diet all over India. It is relished either with rice or with rotis by some!
Daal in itself is a powerhouse of nutrition! When combined with Vit C, our body is able to absorb the iron, which is present in the daal. If we observe carefully, we can see that traditionally daal preparations in each region generally have some form of Vit C in the cooking process, or is many a times consumed with a drizzle of lemon juice over it or, is many a times accompanied with a serving of curds or buttermilk! Well, must say that our ancestors were very clever, their knowledge of science must have been very good!
Here I have shared a daal recipe which I learnt in my marital home. It is a very simple and comforting daal, where the addition of drumsticks makes it highly nutritious!
For more such nutritious and traditional recipes, do take a look at the following…..
3. Dahi Kadhi
5. Udupi Sambar
- 1/2 cup Toor Daal (Tuvar daal / Split Pigeon Peas)
- 1/2 Tomato…. Chopped
- 2 Drumsticks
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Jaggery (Optional)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Corriander Leaves for garnishing
For The Tempering :
- 2 tsp Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- To make the Daalichi Aamti, first wash the Tuvar daal twice and soak in sufficient water for about an hour and a half. After the daal is well soaked, drain out all the water.
- Add to it, turmeric powder, chopped tomato and clean water, a little above the level of the daal.
- Wash the drumsticks and chop into medium pieces without peeling it too much. Try keeping the peels intact. Else the drumsticks will get totally smashed when cooked in a pressure cooker.
- Transfer the pieces to a colander and add very little water to it.
- Place the daal in the pressure cooker and place the colander with drumsticks over it.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and cook for 8 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally and then open the lid.
- Smash the daal with the back of a ladle and add some water to get a medium thick consistency. It is better to add at first the water in which the drumsticks have been cooked and then more water if required.
- Add the jaggery, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil and add the cooked drumsticks to it. Boil further for a minute or two and switch off the flame.
- Heat a tempering kadhai and add the homemade ghee to it.
- Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Pour this tempering over the daal and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve this delicious Daalichi Aamti with hot steamed rice, a wedge of lemon, Bharli Bhendi and some Aappe Aamle Lonche or Gaajar Flower Taaja Loncha and Mulyaachi Koshimbir by the side.
- Serve some Gaajar Halwa or Date And Walnut Whole Wheat Brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream as a dessert!