Gaajar Halwa is an Indian sweet made using carrots. It is a favourite dish during festivals or weddings or during winters when we get fresh sweet carrots.
Carrots are loaded with Vitamin A as well as fiber. Adding milk to this dish provides calcium too. But keeping all this apart, this is a favourite dish of my family too. Mawa or khoya is generally added to this dish which gives it a rich flavor and grainy texture. But I have avoided using it and added lots of milk which too gives the halwa a delicious flavour. A little homemade ghee gives it a wonderful flavour.
Topping it with ice cream can be a fantastic option during parties. If you wish to try some more desserts, here are a few which I have already presented……
8) Doodhi Halwa
Here’s the recipe for Gaajar Halwa…..
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 5
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1/2 kg Carrots
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar… To be adjusted as per preference
- 4 tsp Homemade ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 2 tbs Malai (Fresh Cream)
- 3 tsp Cardamom powder
- 3 tbs Mixed Dry Fruits (Almonds, Pistachios, Cashewnuts)
- To make the Gaajar Halwa, first wash and peel the carrots. Grate them in a food processor or a grater.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the homemade ghee to it.
- Add to it the grated carrots and saute for a while.
- Next, add the milk and bring to a boil. Cook with the lid on for very few minutes.
- Uncover and cook on high flame stirring occasionally till almost all the milk has evaporated.
- Add the cardamom powder, malai and sugar and mix well. The sugar will become watery like a syrup and the mixture will seem quite loose.
- Cook on high flame stirring occasionally, till all the sugar syrup dries up.
- Lower the flame to check the same and if there’s just a little syrup surrounding the halwa, swtich off the flame.
- Next, add the chopped dry fruits and mix well.
- As the halwa cools down, mix in the remaining sugar syrup and this will keep the halwa moist.
- Garnish with some more dry fruits and serve during festivals or as a dessert after lunch or dinner.