A Chocolate Brownie (commonly referred to as simply brownie), is a square baked chocolate dessert. Brownies come in a variety of forms and may either be fudgy or cakey depending on their density. They may include nuts, frosting, cream cheese, chocolate chips or other ingredients.
Generally a brownie is made of wheat flour. But here I am presenting a brownie made from whole wheat flour which is always a better option. Also, to increase it’s nutritional value, I have added some dates and walnuts.
Who doesn’t like brownies? Well, a lot of people surely do. So, why not indulge in something healthy to satisfy your sweet tooth?
For some more desserts, do click on the following links to get the recipes…
- Karwar Style Madgane With Rajgira and Oats
- Bhoplyaache Ghaargae
- Dates Semolina Steamed Cake
- Goan Batk/Baath/Batica
- Gaajar Halwa
- Shevayaanchi Kheer
- Banana Caramel Pudding Trifle
Well, here goes the recipe for Date and Walnut Whole Wheat Brownie!
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 35 – 40 min
Serves : NA
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups Caster Sugar
- 1 tbs Cooking Soda
- 3 tbs Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbs Coffee Powder
- 1/4 cup Walnuts
- 10 Dates
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3/4 cup Cooking Oil
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Citric Acid
- 1 pinch Salt
- To make the Date and Walnut Whole Wheat Brownie, first heat the milk till lukewarm. Switch off the flame and add to it the citric acid. Stir till the milk curdles. Keep aside till further use.
- Grease a 8″ x 8″ baking tin with butter and dust with some flour. Tap and discard the extra flour.
- Chop the walnuts and dates to desired sizes. Reserve half the chopped walnuts for decorating on top.
- Transfer all the mentioned ingredients to a mixing bowl including the curdled milk.
- Mix all together and transfer to the greased baking tin. Tap a little to remove excess bubbles.
- Dust the reserved walnuts with little flour and spread over the cake mixture in the baking tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° C for about 35 to 40 minutes. To check whether the cake is completely baked, insert a knife in the cake, and if it comes out clean then the cake is perfectly baked.
- Remove from the oven and keep aside for about 10 to 15 minutes. Loosen the sides of the cake using a knife and invert on a cooling rack.
- When cooled transfer to a flat surface and cut the brownie into squares of 2″ each.
- Serve warm the Date and Walnut Whole Wheat Brownie, topped with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of some chocolate sauce.
A healthy whole wheat brownie, this one can be warmed slightly in the microwave and topped with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or can even be used to make a SIZZLING BROWNIE!