Varan, a simple but extremely delicious type of daal preparation generally found in the Maharashtrian cuisine and even the NKGSB cuisine of Karwar. The method of preparation may differ a bit from region to region, like for instance some give a simple tempering to the varan and some don’t. Some add jaggery to it too!
I am sharing here the recipe of the Varan which my grandmother and mother prepared. Ours is a simple recipe without any tempering but using a strong flavourful variety of asafoetida known as Irani Hing which is the preferred one in the preparation of pickles. It is my all time comfort food with steamed rice and some NKGSB STYLE LASUN CHUTNEY.
For more daal recipies do give a try to….
1) Daal Tadka or
2) Daali Toay or
3) Nutri Daal Fry or
4) Udupi Sambar or
- 1/2 cup Tuvar Daal (Turichi daal/Split Pigeon Peas)
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Irani hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- Homemade ghee
- To make Varan, first soak the Tuvar daal in sufficient water for about an hour and a half.
- Wash thoroughly and add water a little above the daal level, say half a centimetre above the daal’s level.
- Add the turmeric powder and the cumin seeds and cover with a lid.
- Cook in a pressure cooker till done.
- When the pressure goes down, open the lid and crush the daal a bit with the back of a ladle.
- Add the asafoetida and mix well.
- Add sufficient water to get a medium consistency and salt to taste.
- Boil the daal on high flame. Check the seasoning and add more salt or asafoetida if required.
- Serve the delicious Varan with hot steamed rice with a dollop of homemade ghee on top. Serve a wedge of lemon by the side.
- Other option is to make a thick varan without diluting it with water and top with some delicious Tival!
- Serve some NKGSB Style Sweet And Sour Raw Mango Chutney as a side. It tastes extremely delicious with varan bhaat!
Tival and Varan Bhaat :