Kairiche Aambat Goad Lonche is a Maharashtrian delicacy. Kairi i.e. raw mango is used to prepare pickles on a large scale in India and the varieties of pickles made are umpteen. Each community from different states have their own age old recipes for the same.
The pickle I have presented here is made using raw mango and jaggery. The tempering of fenugreek seeds, cloves and cinnamon along with the sweetness of the jaggery and tanginess of the raw mangoes, creates an absolutely unique and delicious flavour.
Kairiche Aambat Goad Lonche, due to it’s sweet and sour as well as slightly spicy flavour goes well with phulkas (Roti) or even as an accompaniment to a traditional meal. The Vit C from the raw mango and the iron from the jaggery when combined, make this pickle extremely nutritious too!
For some more pickles, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Aambade Kaarle Lonche
- Vadhwani Marcha Na Athaanu
- Gaajar Flower Taaja Loncha
- Fresh Turmeric Ginger Pickle In Lemon Juice
- Kairiche Lonche
- Aappe Aamle Lonche
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
- 7 cups Totapuri Raw Mango Cubes (1 kg Raw Mango)
- 3/4 cup Water
- 10 cups Jaggery…. To be adjusted
- 1 tsp Salt… To be adjusted
For The Tempering :
- 6 tbs Oil
- 3 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)
- 6 Cloves
- 6 sticks Cinnamon (1″ each)
- 5-6 Bedgi Dry Red Chillies …. Deseeded and roughly chopped
- To make the Kairiche Aambat Goad Lonche, first rinse the raw mangoes thoroughly and wipe them dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut the raw mangoes into 1″ cubes approximately.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. When it heats up add the mustard seeds.
- As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida. Next, add fenugreek seeds, cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Stir and add the deseeded dry red chillies.
- As they splutter, add the cubed raw mango and stir well.
- Add the water and increase the flame to high.
- Mix well and reduce the flame to medium. Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Uncover and check whether the raw mangoes are cooked.
- Add the red chilli powder and salt to taste and mix.
- Either grate or chop the jaggery and add it to the cooked raw mangoes.
- Stir lightly and cook in medium flame till the jaggery dissolves.
- Lower the flame and cook for about two more minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let the pickle cool down.
- Once cooled, store the Kairiche Aambat Goad Lonche in clean dry air tight glass jars.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
The jaggery to be added to the pickle should be adjusted as per the sourness of the raw mango used and of course preferrence!
The overall taste should be sweet, slightly sour and mildly spiced! The fenugreek seeds impart a very unique flavour to this pickle!
* Pictures depicting the cooking process…
1. Chop the raw mangoes into medium cubes
2. Heat oil and add mustard seeds
3. Add fenugreek seeds, cinnamon sticks and cloves
4. Add asafoetida
5. Add dry red chillies
6. Mix well
7. Add water
8. Cook covered
9. Cooked raw mangoes
10. Add red chilli powder and salt
11. Add jaggery
12. Mix well
13. Cook till jaggery dissolves