Ambade kaarle lonche… Translated as hog plums and bitter gourds pickle. This is again a recipe from the karwari GSB cuisine. Karwar being in Karnataka, too use a lot of jaggery in their cooking like the Udupis. It is a very simple but extremely flavourful dish.
It would be made by my grandmother in Karwar only on the first day of Ganesh Chaturthi and never again in the whole year. This could be because the ambade are. mainly available during the month of Shravan nearing Ganesh Chaturthi. Rest of the year we do not get this sour fruit. I too somehow managed to get a few ambade for this recipe.
Just recently my mom made this pickle as she had some leftover Ambade and gave it to me for tasting. I instantly loved it! Making this today for the first time ……and let me tell you it’s turned out perfect and too delicious. If you like pickles and chutneys, do try the delicious NKGSB Style Sweet and Sour Raw Mango Chutney too.
6 Ripe Ambade
1 Medium bitter gourd
6 Tbs Jaggery
1/4 Tsp salt for bitter gourd
1/4 Tsp salt for pickle
1 Tsp oil for stir frying bitter gourd
FOR TEMPERING :
4 Tsp Oil
1/4 Tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 Tsp Fenugreek seeds
4 Green chillies
2 Pinches Irani hing
1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
1. To begin with scrape the outer rough layer of the bitter gourd well and clean from the inside too.
2. Wash thoroughly and cut lengthwise into 2 inch long strips and apply salt to the strips and keep aside for about an hour to do away with it’s bitterness.
3. Then wash the bitter gourd strips well and drain all water by squeezing a bit.
4. Heat 1 tsp oil in a small kadhai add stir fry the bitter gourd strips till crisp.
5. Peel and wash the ambade and slit the green chillies lengthwise.
6. In another small kadhai heat 4 tsp oil and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they splutter add the rest of the tempering ingredients.
7. Add the turmeric powder and the ambade and mix well. Add to this about 4 tbs water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame. Cover and cook for about 7 – 9 minutes or till ambade are cooked.
8. Now add the stir fried bitter gourd strips, jaggery and salt and cook till jaggery melts.
9. Now add 1 or 2 tbs water as per requirement, else the jaggery will stiffen when cooled.
10. Transfer to a jar after it’s cooled.
11. Refrigerate and use as required.
12. Serve the ambade kaarle lonche with some ghee rice or daali toay and rice or even with vegetables and chapatis. Do serve some Phodi as a delicious accompaniment to the meal.
To get a delicious flavoursome pickle the tempering here should be done right.
Be careful not to burn it.