Pizza Dosa is one of the famous street foods of Mumbai. In Mumbai, you get a number of other street foods like vada paav, bhel and sev puri, chinese bhel, sandwiches, idli wadas, samosa, etc. with a wide varieties of dosa topping the list! Street food culture is now trending all over the world, well India sure isn’t lagging behind!
Pizza, as well as dosa, both are famous street foods, and pizza dosa is just a combination of the two! To present the original dish, I have used the green capsicum only. But many more exotic veggies can be used in this dish, as per preference. I think, the choice is endless.
I have used salted butter for a single dosa here, just to present the original street food side. But, when preparing at home, butter can be substituted by homemade ghee (which I did for the rest of the dosas), which too imparts a delicious flavour to this dish. This way, it’s nutritional value can be increased!
For some more delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Here’s the recipe for Pizza Dosa….
Prep Time : 40 min
Cooking Time 6-7 min
Serves : 5-6 (10-12 dosas approx)
Cup Used : 200 ml
For The Dosa Batter :
- 1/2 cup Udid Daal (Skinless Split Black Gram)
- 1/8 th Cup Chanaa Daal (Split Bengal Gram)
- 1 1/2 cup Raw Rice Grains
- 1/2 cup Parboiled Rice Grains (Ukdaa Taandul)
- 4-5 Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Danaa)
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- Oil As Required
- Butter As Required
For The Pizza Sauce :
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves …. Crushed
- 2 small Onions …. Roughly Chopped
- 8 medium Tomatoes …. Roughly Chopped
- 4 tbs Sugar
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt To Taste
For The Pizza Topping :
- 1/2 cup Red Chilli Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 1 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Green Capsicum
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup Grated Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
- Pizza seasoning /Mixed Herbs/Oregano …. as required
- Pizza Cheese As Required
- To make the dosa batter, rinse the daals and rice separately atleast twice and soak them in sufficient water for about 8-10 hours. Add the fenugreek seeds to the soaked rice grains.
- Next, after the stipulated time, drain the soaked daals and rice and set aside.
- Grind the udid and chanaa daal first using water as required (1/2 cup approx), to get a smooth paste and transfer it to a container for fermenting.
- Next, grind the rice grains along with the fenugreek seeds to a smooth paste, using water as required (1 1/2 cup Approx).
- Add it to the ground daal paste and add the salt as well. Mix well with your fingers and cover with a lid.
- Keep aside for fermenting for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- To prepare the pizza base, heat a pan and add the olive oil to it.
- When it heats up, add the crushed garlic and saute for half a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Saute till they turn mushy and soft. Crush a little with the back of the spoon.
- Add the red chilli powder, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Set aside to cool down. When the mixture cools down, grind it to a paste without using any water.
- For the dosas, first the prepared batter needs to be diluted a bit.
- Whisk the dosa batter and add water as required to it, to get a medium thick consistency (not too runny). Add a little salt at this stage and mix.
- To make the pizza dosa, heat a cast iron griddle and spread some oil over it.
- Reduce the flame and pour a heaped ladleful of the prepared batter at the centre and immediately spread it in circular motion, with the back of the same ladle to get a round dosa.
- Increase the flame to medium and after a minute, add about a teaspoon butter and spread it over the dosa.
- Reduce the heat and after about 2-3 minutes, spread about 2-3 tbs of the pizza sauce and a tablespoon of red chilli sauce over the dosa.
- Sprinkle the chopped vegetables and the pizza seasoning over the dosa.
- Next, sprinkle some of the grated paneer too.
- Grate the pizza cheese over the dosa and increase the flame to medium.
- When the cheese melts and the dosa is crisped, cut it into pizza slices and serve it with some Sweet And Sour Coconut Chutney or NKGSB Style Lasni Chutney!