Aaloo Methi is a famous Potato and Fenugreek vegetable from Punjab. Potatoes are used generally by every community or say country in some way or the other, in their daily cooking.
The nutritional benefits of potatoes are many. Potatoes are so versatile that they can be incorporated in many a healthy and delicious recipes. They blend in very easily and also lend a delicious flavour to the prepared dish.
Many years back, I had this Aaloo Methi at a restaurant in Delhi. Instantly I fell in love with this vegetable. The aroma of fresh methi and cumin gives this potato vegetable an absolutely delicious flavour. Gave it a try after quite a few years, and as it’s quite an easy recipe, succeeded immediately!
An easy and quick recipe, Aaloo Methi makes a great option for tiffins too!
You can also give a try to the following Potato or Methi Dishes!
1) Doodhi Methi Muthiya muthiya
3) Methi Murg
4) Methi Thepla
- 4 Potatoes (Aaloo)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Fenugreek leaves (Methi)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 Garlic Cloves …… Grated
- To make the Aaloo Methi, first wash and boil the potatoes in sufficient water in a pressure pan for 3 whistles.
- When the pressure is released, drain the potatoes and peel them. Chop into cubes and set aside till further use.
- Wash the Fenugreek leaves in sufficient water and drain. Chop the leaves and set aside.
- Heat a thick kadhai and add the oil to it. When the oil heats up, add the mustard seeds. As soon as they splutter, add the cumin seeds, grated garlic and asafoetida. Give it a good stir and add the turmeric powder.
- Mix well and add the chopped fenugreek leaves after slightly squeezing out its extra water. This helps reduce its bitterness.
- Saute for about two to three minutes and add the red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add the chopped potatoes at this stage, and the sugar and salt as well.
- Saute and mix well. Cover and cook on low flame for one steam.
- Uncover and check seasoning. Adjust it if required.
- Transfer this delicious Aaloo Methi to a serving bowl and serve with Tavaa parathas, or Rotis or just plain phulkas.
- Can be a delicious accompaniment besides some Daal Tadka and Jeera Rice or Veg Pulav or Paneer Veg Pulao too!