Bharli Shimla Mirchi, i.e. stuffed capsicum can be made in various ways. Potatoes or cottage cheese or even chicken mince are used for the filling. Various spices are then added in the filling to make it more delicious.
One such preparation is capsicums stuffed with a chickpea flour filling in combination with some aromatic spices. I got to learn this traditional method years back wherein the masala added was a little different from what I have added. Just tweaked the recipe a bit by adding the kalonji masala which, I recently had got to learn from a friend, and well the result was equally delicious!
For some more such dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Bharli Kaarli (I)
- Bharli Kaarli (II)
- Bharli Bhendi
- Bharilli Vaangi in NKGSB Style
- Kaarla Vaanga Batatyachi Bhaaji
- Bharli Shevgyaachya Shengaanchi Bhaji
Prep Time : 30 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 3
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 6 Small Capsicums
- 1/8 cup Oil
For The Filling :
- 1 cup Chickpea Flour (Besan)
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 2 – 3 tbs Kalonji Masala
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbs Oil
- Salt To Taste
Spices for the Kalonji masala :
- 2 tsp Corriander Seeds (Dhaney/Sabut Dhaniye ke beej)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds (Raii)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tsp Onion Seeds (Kalonji/Kaandyachya Biyaa)
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds (Badishep/Saunf)
- 5 -6 Fenugreek Seeds (Methi daaney)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder…. To be adjusted as per preference
- Salt To Taste
- To make Bharli Shimla Mirchi, dry roast the corriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, onion seeds, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds separately till just a little hot and set aside to cool.
- Next heat a kadhai and add 1 tbs oil to it. Add the finely chopped onions and saute till translucent. Set aside to cool.
- Grind the roasted spices to a fine powder and mix in the turmeric and red chilli powders to get the Kalonji masala.
- In a bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, Kalonji masala and the cooked chopped onions.
- Mix well adding salt to taste and water as required, to get a medium thick paste.
- Cut off the top centre part of the capsicums and discard the seeds as well.
- Fill the above prepared filling into the capsicum hollows.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. Release the stuffed capsicums into it with the open side facing downwards.
- Cook covered on low medium heat till the top layer of the stuffing is charred.
- Keep turning the stuffed capsicums on the pan so that each side is well cooked
- When done, switch off the flame and serve these delicious Bharli Shimla Mirchi with daal and hot steaming rice!
For some daals which you might want to cook in combination of this delicious stuffed capsicum, do take a look at the following recipes….
- Nutri Daal Fry
- Daal Tadka
- Daal Fry
- Moong Daal Fry
- Daali Toay
- Daalichi Aamti
- Paalak Daal
- Udipi Saambar
Pictures depicting the cooking process…