Vaal Padwal Chi Bhaaji is a delicious Maharashtrian Vegetable preparation. Generally Kadve Vaal i. e. Bitter Field Beans are used in this preparation though one can sure use the Godey Vaal (which are otherwise called as daalimbi) too.
Though this might seem as a very simple vegetable preparation, it is extremely delicious. The combination of vaal and snake gourd (called as Padwal in Marathi language) with the minimal spices creates a fantastic flavour and it goes very well with chapatis or varan (daal) and steamed rice.
My mother in law would always prepare this on Sankashti as we would consume a no onion no garlic meal on that day and that’s how I got introduced to this vegetable and it soon became one of my favourites!
For some more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
- Korala Vaalaachi Chi Bhaaji
- Vaalachi Rassa Bhaaji
- Mataar Chi Usal
- Mataar Chi Rassa Bhaaji
- Papdichi Bhaaji
- Farabichi Bhaaji
- Kadvey Vaalaachi Khichdi
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Vaal Padwal Chi Bhaaji….
Prep Time : 40 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used :200 ml
- 1 kg Snake Gourd (Padwal)
- 1 cup Bitter Field Beans (Kadvey Vaal)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Heaped tbs Corriander Seeds Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 2-3 tsp Jaggery
- Salt To Taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
For The Tempering :
- 4 tbs Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- For the Vaal Padwal Chi Bhaaji, first soak a cup of Bitter Field Beans in sufficient water, 2 nights prior to making this vegetable.
- The next morning, rinse them once and drain away all the water and tie them in a tightly squeezed moist cotton towel.
- Place this bundle in a covered container, preferably near a heat source to get lovely sprouts.
- At night, transfer the sprouted beans from the towel into a container and soak them in lots of water.
- Next morning, peel the sprouted beans and set aside.
- Next, scrape away lightly the outer layer of the snake gourd with a knife and rinse it well.
- Slit it lengthwise into half and scrape away it’s seeds. Discard the mature ones and retain the tender seeds for making Padwalaa Biyaanchi Taamboli.
- Next, slice it into half circles of about 3/4th cm and rub in half a teaspoon of salt into it.
- Keep aside in a strainer for about half an hour and then squeeze them slightly and set aside for further use.
- To prepare the vegetable, heat a pan and add oil to it. Add in the mustard seeds and as they splutter, add the asafoetida and the curry leaves.
- Add the turmeric powder and the peeled sprouted beans. Mix well.
- Add to it the squeezed gourd and red chilli powder.
- Mix well and cover and cook on low to medium heat without adding water.
- When the beans and gourd are almost cooked, add the corriander and cumin powders, jaggery and salt to taste and mix.
- Cover and cook further till completely done. Garnish with the fresh grated coconut and cook further for just a few minutes.
- Serve this delicious and nutritious Vaal Padwal Chi Bhaaji with phulkas and some Varan and Steamed Rice.
- Do serve some Phodnichi Koshimbir and the delicious NKGSB Style Sweet And Sour Raw Mango Chutney as accompaniments and Doodhi Sabudana Kheer as a dessert to complete the meal!