Vaangi Batatyachi Bhaaji is a simple Brinjal and Potatoes vegetable preparation. Do not be fooled though by the simplicity of the ingredients used, as therein lies the absolutely delicious flavour of the entire dish!
Many a years back when my parents had visited us, we had ordered for some food from a simple Maharashtrian food joint. Well , one of the vegetables in the combo was this particular dish which I have presented here. We loved it a lot and my mom who’s always quick to try out something new and fairly well guess the ingredients used, immediately gave it a try and thus was this delicious Vaangi Batatyachi Bhaaji introduced into our home!
For some more delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
- Bharilli Vaangi In NKGSB Style
- Vaangyaacha Bharit
- Kaarla Vaanga Batatyachi Chatpatit Bhaaji
- Vaangi Shimla Mirchi Chi Bhaaji
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Vaangi Batatyachi Bhaaji….
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 8 Small Purple Brinjals
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes…. Peeled and Cubed
- 2 Medium Sized Onions…. Finely Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Corriander Seed Powder
- 1/4 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1/4 cup Chopped Corriander Leaves
- Salt To Taste
For The Tempering :
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2-3 Green Chillies…. To be adjusted as per preference
- 1 1/2″ Ginger Knob
- To make Vaangi Batatyachi Bhaaji, peel the potatoes and cut them into slightly large cubes. Immerse the potato cubes in clean water till further use.
- Halve the brinjals into two equal parts and immerse them in clean water to which a little salt has been added. This will prevent them from blackening.
- Grind the green chillies and ginger into a paste and set aside.
- Next, heat a pan and add oil to it for tempering. Add the cumin seeds when it heats up.
- As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida, green chilli ginger paste and the curry leaves.
- Add in the onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the cubed potatoes and mix well. Add water upto the level of the potatoes and cook covered for few minutes.
- After about 7 minutes add the halved brinjals and mix well. Cook further till with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
- When the vegetables are fully cooked add salt to taste and the grated coconut and mix well.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and serve this delicious Vaangi Batatyachi Bhaaji with phulkas or some Daalichi Aamti and piping hot rice!
- Do serve some Phodnichi Koshimbir along with the meal for some added delicious!