Vegetable Stew, a nutritious and delicious vegetable preparation comes from the beautiful state of Kerala. Subtle yet enticing flavours soothe the palate when combined with Appams! Don’t let the appearance of the dish fool you, as the dish can be made spicy too, as per one’s preference and to say that it’s so nutritious and easy to cook, makes it all the more appealing.
I got to learn this recipe from my dear school friend who’s a Keralite. Even the Coconut Chutney (South Indian Style), was inspired by her mom’s cooking! I always love learning new dishes, especially traditional ones from the people of those specific communities as that’s the only way to get the original recipes. This stew too, is one such gem from my friend’s traditional Keralite cuisine!!
For some more such delicious dishes which can be paired with appams, do take a look at the following recipes too…
- Udipi Saambar
- Mix Vegetable Korma
- Kaale Vastaanyachi Usal
- Kombdi Sukka Masala
- Andyaachi Aamti
- Manglorean Chicken Masala
- Mutton Rassa
Prep Time : 30 min
Cooking Time : 25 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp Rice Flour
- 1 Medium Carrot
- 2 Small Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1 Small Onion…. Sliced
- 6 Green Chillies Slit Lengthwise …. To be adjusted as per preference
- 1 1/2″ Knob Of Ginger…. Thinly sliced
- 2 tbs Coconut Oil
- Salt To Taste
- To make Vegetable Stew, wash and peel the potatoes and carrots.
- Slice the potatoes and carrots into approx an inch long 1 cm thin pieces and immerse the potatoes in clean water till further use.
- To extract coconut milk, add about 1/3 cup water to the grated coconut and grind it in a mixer grinder.
- Transfer it to a sieve and squeeze out the milk with your hand. This is the first extract.
- This will give about 1/2 cup coconut milk. Refrigerate it till further use.
- Grind again the squeezed coconut with 1/3 cup water and squeeze it to get the 2nd extract which will be approx 1/2 cup.
- Once again grind the squeezed coconut with 1/2 cup water and squeeze it well to get the 3rd extract which 6 will be about 3/4 cup.
- Mix the rice flour with a little of the 2nd extract to get a slurry. Add in the remaining 2nd extract and mix well. This helps to prevent the coconut milk from splitting.
- Add this 2nd extract alongwith the chopped vegetables, ginger and green chillies to a pan and bring to a boil.
- At this stage, add the 3rd extract and again bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and cook till all the vegetables, stirring occasionally.
- When all the vegetables are fully cooked, add the 3rd extract and salt to taste.
- Mix well and switch off the flame immediately and add the coconut oil.
- Serve this delicious and subtle Vegetable Stew with Appam and Onion Tomato!
Pictures depicting the cooking process…