Doodhi Chanaa Daalichi Bhaaji is a simple, yet delicious vegetable prepared using bottle gourd i.e. doodhi and chanaa daal. Bottle gourd is highly nutritious with various health benefits and can be used to prepare a variety of dishes, both sweet as well as savoury.
Bottle gourd is a versatile vegetable and it does not have any particular taste of it’s own. It easily incorporates into any dish to which it is added and increases it’s nutritional value. Presenting here a very simple, yet delicious vegetable preparation which I learnt from my mom.
Do check out the following bottle gourd dishes too…
- Doodhi Thepla (Savoury Bottle Gourd Flatbread)
- Doodhi Methi Muthiya
- Doodhi Sabudana Kheer
- Doodhi Halwa
- Doodhiche Dhirde (Savoury Bottle Gourd Pancakes)
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Doodhi Chanaa Daalichi Bhaaji….
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 3 cups Cubed Bottle Gourd (400 gm approx)
- 3/4 cup Chopped Tomato (1 Large Tomato Approx)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Malvani Masala…. To be adjusted as per preference
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery…. Optional
- Salt To Taste
- 1/8 cup Corriander Leaves
For The Tempering :
- 1 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 2 tbs Skinless Split Pigeon Peas (Chanaa Daal)
- To make Doodhi Chanaa Daalichi Bhaaji, first soak the skinless split pigeon peas (chanaa daal) in sufficient clean water for about half an hour.
- Peel the bottle gourd and slice off it’s edges. Chop off a thin slice each from both ends and check for bitterness.
- If it’s indeed bitter then, chop further and taste till you find the bitterness gone and discard the bitter part.
- Next, chop it into medium sized cubes and immerse in sufficient clean water.
- Heat a pressure pan and add oil to it for tempering.
- Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the soaked skinless split pigeon peas and saute for about half a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, mix well and immediately add the chopped tomato and saute for about 3-4 mins.
- Next, add the kashmiri red chilli powder and malvani masala and saute on low heat for a minute or two.
- Add in the bottle gourd cubes and mix well. Add about half a cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Shut the lid and cook it for 3 whistles on high heat.
- When the pressure releases naturally, open the lid and add jaggery and salt to taste. Adding jaggery is optional though.
- Simmer for about 4-5 minutes till the water in the gravy reduces slightly.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and serve this nutritious Doodhi Chanaa Daalichi Bhaaji with phulkas and a salad (Phodnichi Koshimbir) by the side!