Kadhi Pakodey, a subtly delicious, soothing curd based curry with non fried dumplings made from lentils, when paired with steaming hot rice, makes a heavenly combo! And a dollop of ghee takes it’s deliciousness to just another level! And yes, it is so delicious that it can be served just off the stove, as a dumpling soup for that extra warmth on some chilly day!
Kadhi is widely made throughout India, albeit with some tiny variations. Generally a kadhi is curd based, though in coastal regions it is made using coconuts! Each region has it’s own methods of preparing it, and kadhi can be found with or without pakoras (fritters).
In this recipe, I have made the same lentil fritters to be cooked directly in the kadhi, with the only difference being that they are non fried. And still the taste simply isn’t compromised one bit! In fact, in this particular Dahi Pakodey, with taste comes loads of nutrition too!
For some more delicious and nutritious dishes do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Dahi Kadhi (Spiced Buttermilk Curry)
- Jeermeerya Kadi
- Shiraalyaachya Shiraanchi Taamboli
- Gujarati Dahi Kadhi
- Sol Kadhi (Kokum Kadi)
- Tival (Sweet And Sour Kokum Kadi In NKGSB Style Of Karwar)
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 25 min
Serves : 5-6
Cup Used :200 ml
- 3 1/2 cup Buttermilk (Slightly thick and a little sour) OR
- 2 cups Curds
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 cup Corriander Leaves
- Salt To Taste
For The Pakodey :
- 3/4 cup Split Skinless Green Gram (Yellow Moong Daal)
- 1/4 cup Split Skinless Chickpeas (Chanaa Daal)
- 3 Green Chillies…. To be adjusted as per preferred spiciness
- 1 1/2″ Knob of Ginger
- 1/8 cup Chopped Corriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Salt To Taste
For The Tempering :
- 3 tbs Homemade Ghee
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana)
- 2 Dry Red Paandi Chillies
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- To make Kadhi Pakodey, rinse and soak both the daals in sufficient water for about 4 hours.
- After the said time, drain out all the water and grind the daals alongwith green chillies and ginger to a coarse paste without using any water.
- Next, whisk well the buttermilk and if using curds then whisk it well with the water to remove lumps if any.
- Add to this about a tablespoon of the ground daal mixture and give it a good mix.
- To the remaining daal mixture, add the cumin seeds and chopped corriander leaves.
- Heat a pan and add the ghee to it. When it heats up, add the fenugreek seeds and saute.
- Next, add the dry red chillies followed by the mustard seeds.
- As soon as they splutter, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves..
- To this, add the turmeric powder and mix.
- Add the whisked buttermilk and immediately start stirring the mixture while bringing it to a boil on high heat.
- Once it boils, reduce the flame to low and start adding small portions of the ground daal mixture to make pakodey.
- Add salt to taste and simmer further for about 7-8 minutes till the pakodey are cooked.
- If the kadhi thickens too much, add a little water to get a medium thick consistency.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with chopped corriander leaves.
- Serve this absolutely delicious and nutritious Kadhi Pakodey with some steaming hot rice!
Pictures depicting the cooking process…