Kaarlyaa Saglein is a side dish or say a healthy salad of sorts made using bitter gourds (Kaarle), coconut and fresh curds. Saglein is a GSB dish wherein a tempering of ghee, mustard and asafoetida is ground with coconut and green chillies and mixed with some other ingredient like cucumber or bitter gourds.
This is a dish from the NKGSB cuisine of Karwar, or say from my Grandmother’s Kitchen too! It would be prepared as a dish to go with rice and curry, mainly during festive occasions when food had to be prepared sans onions or garlic.
Kaarlyaa Saglein is highly nutritious and believe me, equally delicious too. The technique of salting the bitter gourds and roasting then does away with most of it’s bitterness. The overall taste of the Saglein should be slightly – sour, sweet and spicy.
For some more dishes from the NKGSB cuisine of Karwar, do take a look at the following recipes too...
- Taushe Saglein
- Kairi Pachadi
- Jeermeerya Kadi
- Shiraalyaachya Shiraanchi Taamboli
- Aambya Saasav
- Ghotaa Aambat
- Ambaade Udid Methi
Prep Time : 30 min
Cooking Time : N. A.
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
For The Roasted Bitter Gourds :
- 250/500 gm Bitter Gourds (Kaarle/Karela)…. Adjust quantity as per preference
- 2 tbs Oil For Roasting
- 1 tsp Salt
For The Saglein :
- 4 tbs Roasted Bitter Gourd
- 3/4 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 5-6 tbs Slightly Sour Curd
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar… To be adjusted as per the sourness of the curds
- Salt To Taste
For The Tempering :
- 3 tsp Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2-3 Chopped Green Chillies… To be adjusted as per preference
- To make Kaarlyaa Saglein, first rinse well the bitter gourds and pat dry.
- Slightly scrape off the outer rough peel and rinse once again.
- Deseed and chop into very fine pieces (1/2 cm approx).
- Rub 1 tsp salt into these pieces and set aside for about 7-8 hours at room temperature.
- The gourds will start releasing water in the said time.
- Discard all the water and rinse the pieces with clean water (optional) and squeeze out all the remaining water.
- This helps in doing away with most of the bitterness which is disliked by many.
- Other option is to totally skip the next rinsing and just do with squeezing out the bitter juice from the gourds.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. Add the squeezed bitter gourd pieces and stir on low to medium heat till they change colour and crisp up.
- Cool and store in an airtight container for upto a month or two in the refrigerator and use as required.
- To make the Saglein, first heat a small kadhai and add ghee and mustard seeds to it.
- As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida and green chillies and switch off the flame.
- Add the tempering to the grated coconut and grind it alongwith the sugar, curds and salt to get an almost smooth paste.
- Using water has to be completely avoided for the grinding process and in general too.
- Mix together 4 tbs of the roasted bitter gourd bits and the ground paste.
- Check seasoning and adjust if required.
- Serve this delicious and nutritious Kaarlyaa Saglein as a side with a traditional meal of Sheeth (steamed rice) and Daali Toay or Kairi Udid Methi and crispy Phodi.
Picture showing roasted bitter gourd bits and the coconut paste :