Dahi Kadhi is a dish which originated in India. It is a curry made using curds and chickpea flour (Besan) with or without pakoras (fritters), depending upon which state or community it belongs to! With some tiny variations, the Kadhi is surely found in a lot of states all over the country! And yes, each version has a divine deliciousness of it’s own! And, you will be amazed to know that Kadhi is not only made using curds, but is made using coconuts too in the coastal regions. That’s the uniqueness and richness of our culinary culture!
This is my mom’s way of making the Kadhi and I’m it’s biggest fan! The fenugreek seeds and dry red chillies when added foremost in the tempering, impart a very unique and delicious flavour and aroma to the kadhi. Not to forget that hint of pure ghee seeping from within. And a little extra ghee topped on the kadhi rice takes it altogether to just another level!!
For some more such traditional dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
- Jeermeeryaa Kadi
- Teppala Kadi In NKGSB Style
- Gujarati Dahi Kadhi
- Shiraalyaanchya Shiraanchi Taamboli
- Sol Kadhi
- Tival (Goad Kokuma Kadi In NKGSB Style of Karwar)
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 2 cups Fresh Homemade Curds
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Clean Water
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups Slightly Thick and not too sour Buttermilk
- 4 tbs Chickpea Flour (Besan)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt To Taste
For The Tempering :
- 4 tbs Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 4 Dry Red Paandi Chillies (or any other preferred variety)
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana)
- 2 Green Chillies …. Chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves (10-12 Curry Leaves)
- To make this delicious Dahi Kadhi, either beat together the curds and mentioned quantity of water to get the buttermilk or use ready buttermilk if desired.
- In a bowl beat together the chickpea flour and about 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Add this mixture to the rest of the buttermilk and whisk.
- Next, Heat a pan and add the ghee to it. When it heats up, add the fenugreek seeds and the paandi chillies. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add to it the chopped green chilli, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the turmeric powder to this tempering and switch off the flame. Beat well the buttermilk again and pour it into the pan.
- The above step ensures that the buttermilk doesn’t split later while boiling.
- Whisk and switch on the flame. Bring it to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Add salt and reduce the heat to low. Simmer further for few more minutes and switch off the heat.
- Serve this delicious Dahi Kadhi with piping hot steamed rice or Moogdaalichi Khichdi or even some Vegetable Masala Pulao!
Pictures depicting the cooking process :