Vegetable Masala Pulao is an aromatic rice and vegetable preparation. Pulao is prepared in many different ways yet the preparation is generally very simple. Just that the ingredients might differ a bit in different regions.
Non veg Pulao can be made using meat like chicken or mutton or even prawns alongwith basmati rice which is generally the preferred one for the same. The addition of some whole spices in the tempering gives it a wonderful subtle aroma and flavour.
I have named this particular Pulao which can be cooked easily, as ‘Vegetable Masala Pulao’ for the reason that certain spice powders like turmeric, red chilli powder and garam masala have been added to it and that makes it taste slightly different and more aromatic than the regular, plain Pulao.
For some more rice dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Burnt Garlic Veg Fried Rice
- Chicken Pulao
- Tavaa Pulao
- Jeera Rice
- Phodnicha Bhaat
- Kolambi Bhaat
- Masoor Pulao
- Biryani Rice
- Paneer Vegetable Pulao
- Vegetable Pulav
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 20-25 min
Serves : 4-5
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 1/4 cups Basmati Rice (Uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups Hot Boiling Water
- 1 1/4 cups Cauliflower Florets
- 1 cup Cubed Potatoes
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder…. To be adjusted as per preference
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (use cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper corns in equal proportions and lightly dry roast them till hot to the touch, cool completely and grind to a fine powder)
- Salt To Taste
- 1 tbs Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Whole Spices For Tempering :
- 3 tbs Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 5 Cloves
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks (1″ each)
- 1 Big Cardamoms
- 4 Black Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- To make Vegetable Masala Pulao, first wash the basmati rice well twice and soak in sufficient water for about half an hour.
- In the meantime, chop all the required vegetables and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. When it heats up, add in the whole spices mentioned above.
- As soon as they splutter, add the cubed potatoes and saute for a minute on high heat.
- Add the cauliflower and saute further for about 2 minutes. Cover with a lid and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and carrots and saute for a minute and add to it the spice powders and mix well.
- Add drained rice grains and saute lightly and add some homemade ghee to it.
- Add the hot boiling water and salt to taste. Mix well and cook uncovered on high heat till much of the water has evaporated.
- At this stage, reduce the heat to low and cook covered till all the water is soaked up and the rice is perfectly cooked.
- Switch off the flame and cover the Pulao with a lid and set aside till serving time. This helps the rice to fluff up perfectly.
- Serve this delicious Vegetable Masala Pulao topped with some homemade ghee and with some Kairi Lonche (Raw Mango Pickle) and Boondi Raita by the side.