Paalak Paneer is a Spinach Gravy Vegetable with some Cottage Cheese added in! Though it is basically a Punjabi dish, it is present in the menu of almost all restaurants like other Punjabi dishes. This dish when cooked well with proportionate ingredients can taste really very delicious.
Spinach if cooked for too long can become bitter and anyway it has a slight bitterness in its taste. To cut down on the same, I have used some milk to thin the gravy slightly and some sugar too. You can skip the sugar or reduce the quantity if it suits you. One thing I have noticed about this gravy is that, if cooked a bit earlier or say the leftover one becomes extremely delicious as by then all the flavours seep in entirely!
For some more delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Paalak Paneer….
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 5
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 cup Spinach Puree (2 Medium Bunches Spinach/Paalak)
- 200 gm Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
- 1 cup Raw Onion Paste (2 Medium Onions)
- 1 cup Fresh Tomato Paste (2 Large Tomatoes)
- 3 Spicy Green Chillies…. To be adjusted as per preference
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 1/2 tbs Corriander Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi Leaves
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tbs Fresh Cream (Malai)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Salt To Taste
- 2 tbs Oil
- First, clean the spinach, reserving the tender stalks and soak them in salted water so that worms if any, present in them will surface to the top.
- Drain well and immerse the leaves in hot water for about a minute and immediately drain and immerse them in ice cold water.
- Drain again and squeeze out the extra liquid.
- Puree the onions alongwith the green chillies to a smooth paste.
- Next puree the tomatoes as well. If the tomatoes are sour, use a little less quantity.
- Similarly, puree the spinach leaves too, to a smooth paste without using any extra liquid.
- Slightly heat a small kadhai and switch off the heat. Place the kasuri methi over it till it crisps up. Crush it with fingers into a powder and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. Add the onion and green chilli paste, some salt and saute on medium heat for about 4 minutes or till it changes colour.
- Next, add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a few more minutes.
- To this, add in the tomato puree and cook covered on medium heat till it thickens. Stir occassionly.
- Add the corriander powder and Garam Masala and mix well.
- When the cooked mixture thickens well, add the spinach puree, kasuri methi and cottage cheese cubes.
- Add in the the milk and stir continuously on high heat till it reaches a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add more salt as required. Add a little water keeping the consistency thick.
- Add in the cream, stir and switch off the heat.
- Serve this delicious Paalak Paneer with Parathas or Garlic Butter Naan, Jeera Rice and a salad and some cooling Boondi Raita by the side!
- Do end this delicious meal with a dessert of the delicious Banana Caramel Pudding Trifle!