Seyal Paav is a delicious Sindhi breakfast dish made using regular laadi paav (used for vada paav or paav bhaaji) in a subtly aromatic onion tomato gravy. Sindhi cuisine has always interested me, and this quick and delicious dish became one of my favourites.
This dish was passed on to me by my mom who had seen it being cooked on a TV cooking show, many many years back. Well, she always called it masala paav! It was recently on my further prodding did she innocently tell me that this was a Sindhi dish and had been presented by a Sindhi woman!
This revelation suddenly reminded me of the Seyal Paav, about which I had only heard but never seen. Well, the net solved the mystery for me! Here, I have presented the recipe as shown by that unknown Sindhi lady, with my mom’s measuremts for the ingredients used! Btw, through google got to know that, the word seyal means that the dish is prepared with onion, tomato gravy or garlic base with no water or just some water is used.
For some more breakfast dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Goad Aappe
- Doodhiche Dhirde
- Masala Phov
- Mulyaache Thaalipeeth
- Doodhi Methi Muthiya
- Phodnichi Chapati
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Seyal Paav….
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 5-6
- 6 Laadi Paav (Bread/Dinner Rolls)
- 2 medium onions …. Finely Chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Tomato Puree (5 small tomatoes)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Corriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 4 tsp Sugar (Or 2-3 tbs Tomato Ketchup)
- Salt To Taste
For The Tempering :
- 2 tbs Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 tsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- 1 Finely Chopped Green Chilli
For Garnishing :
- Chopped Onions
- Chopped Corriander Leaves
- Nylon Sev (Fried Chickpea Flour Fine Noodles)
- To make Seyal Paav, heat a pan and add oil to it.
- Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter, add the chopped garlic and the green chilli.
- Immediately add the chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- To this, add the tomato puree and mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil and cover and cook further for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and cover and cook for about two minutes.
- Next, add the remaining spice powders and mix well.
- Saute on medium to high heat till the mixture is cooked and comes together very well.
- Add the salt, sugar/tomato ketchup and mix. Add the water and stir. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cut the paav into four equal pieces. Add these to the pan and cover and cook on low heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover and flip each piece. Cover and cook again for a few minutes, till the paav has absorbed almost all the onion tomato mixture.
- Serve this delicious Sindhi Seyal Paav for breakfast with a sprinkle of some chopped onions, corriander leaves and nylon sev!
The sugar or chilli mentioned above can be adjusted as per preference.
Again, if desired whole wheat paav too can be used instead of regular ones.