Sukka bhel is a Mumbai street style food and is available in each corner of Mumbai. At each stall you can find a slight variation in ingredients it even taste. This is a simple, yet delicious snack and is a good option for curbing one’s hungerpangs.
Though, I have always observed that inspite of this being a delicious snack if made rightly, not all can manage to achieve it. I myself have tasted it at different places, but have come to like it only at a particular place. In this recipe I have tried and succeded to achieve that taste after a few trials. Though I have used the puffed rice as it is, it can be roasted in a little oil and turmeric powder till crispy and then used for this bhel. This enhances the overall taste of the bhel.
For some more snacks, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Sukka Bhel….
Prep Time : 20 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 6 cups Puffed Rice (Kurmura/Mumraa)
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Onions
- 2 Finely Minced Green Chillies (Less Spicy Variety)
- 3 small Boiled Potatoes
- 6 Flat Roughly Crushed Crisp Pooris (Ones used for Sev Poori)
- 2-3 tbs Salted Peanuts
- 2-3 tbs Spicy Peanuts/Daal
- 1 cup Nylon Sev
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Black Salt …. To be adjusted
- 1/4 tsp Chaat Masala …. To be adjusted
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice …. To be adjusted
- 1/2 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- To make Sukka Bhel in Mumbai street food style, mix together all the above mentioned ingredients in a large mixing bowl, using just half a cup of sev initially.
- Adjust the green chillies, black salt, chaat masala and lemon juice as per preference.
- Immediately serve in paper cones just like it is done in the streets of Mumbai.
- Garnish with some more sev and toss slightly and serve with a crisp poori alongside.