Shiraalyaachya Shiraanchi Taamboli is a traditional dish from the NKGSB cuisine of Karwar. Taamboli is basically a type of coconut and buttermilk kadhi which is not cooked. Hence this is fairly a simple and easy dish to prepare and can be mastered by anyone who’s new to cooking.
Though it might look too plain, do not judge this dish just by it’s looks alone! Taamboli is not only a nutritious dish but is also delicious and quite subtle on the palate with a slight hint of cumin flavour!
Taamboli is made from few other ingredients too like ekpaani, tender snake gourd seeds, ajwain/owaa leaves, etc. I have presented here the one made with the rough ridges of the ridge gourd which are generally discarded while preparing the vegetable. Great to be had during summers when the scorching heat makes us yearn for simple and thirst quenching foods!
For some more such dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Jeermeeryaa Kadhi (Cumin & Blackpepper Kadhi)
- Ghotaa Aambat (Ripe Mango Cooked Curry)
- Aambya Saasav (Ripe Mango Curry)
- Kairi Udid Methi (Raw Mango Curry)
- Ambaadae Udid Methi (Hog Plum Curry)
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Shiraalyaanchya Shiraanchi Taamboli…
Prep Time : 15 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 3/4 cup Shiralyaachya Shiraa (Rough Ridges Of Ridge Gourd)
- 3/4 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1-2 Green Chillies… To be adjusted as per preference
- 1/3 cup Fresh Curds
- 1/3 cup Water
- Salt To Taste
For The Tempering of Ridges :
- 1 tsp Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- To make Shiraalyaanchya Shiraanchi Taamboli, scrape off the riders of the ridge gourd and clean them in water. Drain well.
- Heat a kadhai and add ghee to it. As it heats up, add the cumin seeds.
- When they splutter, add the scraped ridges and saute on low to medium flame for about 4-5 minutes till they change colour.
- Cool them and add to a mixer grinder. Add in the coconut and green chillies and grind to a smooth paste using water as required.
- Transfer this paste to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Beat well the curds to remove lumps and add to it the mentioned water. Beat well to get buttermilk.
- Add it to the ground paste and some salt to taste. Mix well and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve this delicious, nutritious and cooling Tamboli with some steamed rice and vegetable of choice!
Pictures depicting the cooking process….