Sev Tameta Nu Shaak is a Gujarati dish, made using tomatoes and a fried delicacy called bhavnagri sev. It is a slightly sweet and sour gravy and goes well with phulkas/rotis. One can find different variations in this same vegetable preparation, where some use onions and ginger garlic, whereas some don’t. Even the use of spices might slightly differ.
On such occasions when we are totally confused as to what we should prepare for the next meal, or when there aren’t much options left in the pantry, and still we want something that’s delicious, this shaak proves to be a saviour of sorts. Just that we have to make arrangements for some bhavnagri sev, which many a times are available in many households for snacking!
For some more such delicious Tomato as well as Gujarati dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Cream Of Tomato Soup (Restaurant Style)
- Tomato Saar
- Daal Dhokli
- Batata Nu Shaak
- Methi Thepla
- Doodhi Methi Muthiya
Here’s the recipe for Sev Tameta Nu Shaak….
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
Serves. : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (1 Chopped + 1 Pureed)
- 1 Small Onion (Chopped)
- 3/4 tsp Finely Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Finely Minced Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Finely Minced Green Chillies… To Be Adjusted
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Spicy Red Chilli Powder … To Be Adjusted
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 3/4 tsp Corriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2-3 tsp Jaggery …. To be adjusted
- Salt To Taste
- Bhavnagri Sev As Required
For The Tempering :
- 1 tbs Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- To make Sev Tameta Nu Shaak, heat a pan and add the oil to it. Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Next, add the minced garlic, ginger and the green chillies. Add the chopped onions and saute. Cook till they turn translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix well. Saute further for a few minutes.
- Add in the pureed tomatoes and mix well. Bring it to a boil and cover and cook the mixture on medium heat stirring occasionally.
- After a while, add the red chilli powders, corriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder.
- Add jaggery and salt to taste and mix well. It is advisable to add a little less salt as the gravy might taste too salty after the bhavnagri sev have been added to it.
- When the tomatoes are cooked and about 2 1/2 – 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Adjust seasoning and simmer further for a few minutes, keeping the consistency of the gravy, slightly on the thinner side as it thickens after the Sev have been added to it.
- Once done, switch off the flame and serve this delicious Sev Tameta Nu Shaak in individual bowls.
- Add the bhavnagri sev to the gravy just before serving and garnish it with some chopped coriander leaves. Serve some ghee smeared phulkas alongwith this delicious gravy!