Mexican Burger is basically a vegetarian burger made using red beans (rajma), sweet potatoes and sweet corn. Some added condiments like garlic powder and smoked paprika give it a lovely flavour. In Mumbai, nowadays we get a lot of varieties of burgers. Mexican Burger too is one such available here. You can find some crispy nacho chips added in this burger, which I too chose to go alongwith, as it gives this burger an added flavour and crunch.
Garlic, cumin, beans, salsa, avocados are some ingredients used in Mexican cooking on a large scale. I have used these ingredients to prepare a burger. Just that I have used some sweet potatoes in this patty, as they impart a slight sweetness to the burger patty and balance the taste of the beans. Again, as I usually do, I have added some chopped mangoes to the guac, though you may choose to add some frozen mango puree too.
Other option I would like to suggest is that if you aren’t able to get an avocado, try using a hung curd dip by adding some roasted cumin powder, onions, grated garlic, chilli flakes/powder, salt and corriander leaves, as per the measurements mentioned for the guacamole. Again some grated cabbage and carrots to can be added to this dip. In case you decide to go along with this dip, you can simply add the diced mango to the salsa!
For some more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Paneer Steak With Burnt Garlic Herbed Rice
- Crispy Chicken Burger
- Veggie Soya Balls Sub Sandwich
- Cheesy Tandoori Aaloo
- Tirangaa Pasta
Here’s The Recipe For The delicious Mexican Burger :
Prep Time : 40 min
Cooking Time : 2-3 min
Serves : 5-6 burgers
For The Burger Patty :
- 1 cup Red Beans (Rajma) (Soaked. 2 1/4 cups)
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Boiled mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup Boiled Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1 cups Fresh Brown Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder /Paste
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika …. Optional
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder… To be adjusted as per preferrence
- 1/2 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Salt To Taste
For The Slurry :
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Water
For Coating The Patties :
For The Chilli Mayo Dip:
- 1/2 cup Mayonise
- 1/2 cup Red Chilli Sauce
For The Salsa :
- 1/3 cup Chopped Onions
- 1/2 cup Chopped Mixed Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Tomato Ketchup … To be adjusted
- 1 1/2 tbs Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1/2-1 tsp Finely Minced Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Mixed Herbs/Oregano … To be adjusted
- Salt To Taste
For The Mango Guacamole :
- 1 Small Avocado (3/4 cup Pulp)
- 1/8 cup Diced Mango
- 1/8 cup Chopped Onions
- 1/4 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/8 tsp Finely Grated Garlic
- 1 tbs Chopped Corriander Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 2-3 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt To Taste
Other Ingredients For Assembling The Burger :
- 5-6 Burger Buns
- Iceberg Lettuce As Required
- Cheese Slices As Required
- Crispy Nacho Chips As Desired
- To make Mexican Burger, first soak 1 cup of Red Beans in sufficient water overnight or for about 8-10 hours.
- Next, rinse thoroughly and boil it in approximately 3 – 3 1/2 cups of water in a pressure pan for 8 whistles.
- Open the pressure pan only when the pressure releases naturally and drain the beans. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, roughly tear about 2-3 brown bread slices into small pieces and grind them in a mixer grinder to get fresh breadcrumbs.
- Once the beans cool down completely, grind them coarsely without using any water, in a mixer grinder.
- In a mixing bowl, add this ground mixture, mashed sweet potatoes, sweet corn kernels, fresh breadcrumbs, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chopped coriander and salt to taste.
- Mix well and divide the mixture into 5-6 portions and shape them into patties.
- Mix together the rice flour and water to make a slightly thin slurry.
- Dip each patty in the rice flour slurry and then in the breadcrumbs to cover it well from all sides.
- Set these in a dish and refrigerate for about 1/2 an hour.
- In the meantime mix the ingredients mentioned for the salsa and set aside.
- Similarly mix together the ingredients mentioned for the guacamole and set aside.
- Next, heat a griddle and add oil to it for shallow frying the patties.
- Release the patties into the oil and fry till they turn crispy and golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and set aside.
- To assemble the burgers, first slice each bun horizontally and spread some chilli mayo dip on both the sliced parts.
- Next, place some iceberg lettuce on the bottom slice and top it with some salsa.
- Place the burger patty over it and immediately top it with a cheese slice.
- Top this with a spread of some mango guacamole.
- Next, place some crispy nacho chips of your desired flavour over it.
- Place the other bun slice over it and press lightly and the burger is ready to be served.
- Serve this delicious Mexican Burger with some baked or fried potato wedges and some more chilli mayo dip by the side!
Pictures depicting the process :
2. Soak in water
3. Cook in a pressure pan
4. Cooked & Drained Beans
5. Beans paste, grated boiled sweet potato, boiled corn kernels, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt
6. Fresh breadcrumbs, corriander leaves
8. Prepared Patty Dough, Rice Flour Slurry, Breadcrumbs
9. Spread Chilli Mayo Dip
10. Place Lettuce
11. Top With Salsa
12. Place the patty on top
13. Top with cheese slice and guacamole
14. Place nacho chips on top and seal with the other bun slice