Cream Of Tomato Soup is a typical restaurant style soup. The taste is awesome, with a slight sweetness and creaminess. It is always served with some bread croutons, which actually complement the soup very well.
This has been my favorite soup, since I started vising restaurants serving such soups, albeit only after my marriage. Yes, till then it was only home cooked food, 99.99% of the time! Well, recreating the same soup at home is quite inexpensive as compared to the exorbitant prices charged by the restaurants.
The soup is very healthy, especially when cooked at home, as we use fresh tomatoes, we naturally take care of hygiene while cooking and mainly as tomatoes are antioxidant rich! And a little butter doesn’t cause that much harm!
Here’s the recipe for Cream Of Tomato Soup:
Prep Time : 25 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 2
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 4 medium Tomatoes
- 1″ Carrot
- 2 tbs Sliced Onion
- 1 1/2 cup Water …. Approx
- 2 tsp Sugar… To be adjusted
- Salt To Taste
For The White Sauce :
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1/2 tbs Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
For The Croutons :
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tbs Butter
- 8 Bread Cubes (1″ each)
- To make Cream Of Tomato Soup, chop the tomatoes, onion and carrot and add them to the pressure pan.
- Add a cup of water to it and cook for 3 whistles on high flame.
- Open the lid when the pressure releases naturally.
- Cool the ingredients and then grind them in a mixer grinder to get a smooth paste.
- Pass this paste through a strainer and collect the tomato pulp in a container and set aside till further use.
- Next, heat a pan and add butter to it for the white sauce.
- As it heats up, add the flour and saute for about 1/2 minute.
- Add the milk, a little at a time and keep sauteeing to break down any lumps.
- Gradually add all the milk and bring the sauce to a boil, sauteeing constantly. Reserve a tiny quantity of the sauce for garnishing.
- To the remaining sauce, add the strained tomato pulp and mix well.
- Add 1/2 a cup of water, sugar and salt to taste and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- For the croutons, heat a kadhai and add the oil and butter to it.
- Fry the bread cubes in it till slightly golden and set aside.
- For serving, pour the soup into the bowls and garnish with the reserved white sauce.
- Place some crispy croutons on top and serve this delicious restaurant style Cream Of Tomato Soup during parties or during meals!
- This can also be served for a light dinner with some Chanaa Chaat or Burnt Garlic Veggie Salad!
Pictures Depicting The Process :