Dates Semolina Steamed Cake is a sugar free cake which is highly nutritious. The semolina is just soaked in some milk and the dates impart their sweetness to the cake. A very good option for those who want to avoid sugar or even jaggery.
This cake is fairly easy and quick to prepare as it is just steamed and made using very less ingredients. Though this cake is slightly different from the regular oven baked one, but that doesn’t impact it’s taste in anyway, just that there is a slight difference in the texture.
The cake tastes wonderful after cooling down and refrigerating! If desired half a teaspoon of stevia can be added to the same! Believe me, my fussy kids too approved this cake!!
For some more sweet dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Date And Walnut Eggless Whole Wheat Brownie
- Karwar Style Madgane With Rajgira And Oats
Prep Time : 15 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 4
- 3/4 cup Fine Semolina
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 30 Seedless Dates
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbs Raisins
- 1 pinch Salt
- To make Dates Semolina Steamed Cake, first soak the dates in sufficient clean water for about half an hour.
- Soak the semolina as well in the milk for about 15 minutes.
- Grind the soaked dates to a smooth paste using little of the soaked water, if required.
- Add this paste to the soaked semolina and mix well. The mixture should be of medium thick consistency.
- Add to it the raisins, vanilla essence and cardamom powder and give it a good mix.
- Add the baking powder and mix.
- Grease a deep colander or a baking tray and pour the above mixture into it.
- Spread it evenly.
- Add water in a pressure cooker at the base and place a stand in it.
- Place the colander, uncovered on the stand, such that it doesn’t touch the water at the bottom of the cooker.
- Close the lid of the cooker without the whistle.
- Steam for 2 minutes on medium flame and then for about 15 minutes on low heat or till a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Switch off the flame and extract the colander from the cooker.
- After a while, loosen out the edges with a knife and upturn the cake on a plate.
- Roast a few cashews in ghee. Decorate on top of the cake alongwith some real diced dried fruits!