Gaajarachi koshimbir i.e. Carrot salad is a Maharashtrian dish. Carrots are rich in Vit A, antioxidants and other nutrients. They are also rich in other vitamins, minerals and fibre which are highly beneficial to our health. Koshimbir has always been an integral part of Maharashtrian cuisine and some or the other type of koshimbir is generally served with the meals.
Koshimbir is the Marathi name for salad, where some raw vegetables like onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, beetroots or radishes are grated or thinly sliced and mixed with fresh curds and tempered. Sometimes they are just mixed together with some sugar, salt and crushed peanut powder without curds or tempering too!
For some more delicious salads and koshimbir, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Phodnichi Koshimbir
- Mulyaachi Koshimbir
- Chickpea And Sweet Potato Salad In Citrus Dressing
- Boondi Raita
- Burnt Garlic Veggie Salad
- 2 cups Grated Carrots
- 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 3 tbs Coarsely Crushed Roasted Peanuts
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
For The Tempering :
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Green Chillies…. Chopped
- To make Gaajarachi Koshimbir, rinse the carrots and peel them.
- Grate the carrots and transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Add the grated coconut, crushed peanuts, sugar and salt to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a tempering kadhai and add oil to it.
- When it heats up, add the cumin seeds.
- As they splutter, add the asafoetida and the chopped green chillies.
- Switch off the flame and pour this tempering over the prepared koshimbir.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice on top and give it a good mix. Check seasoning and adjust as per taste.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve this delicious and nutritious Gaajarachi Koshimbir with a healthy meal.