Aamras, as the name itself mentions is the ras i.e. puree obtained from aam i.e. mango. This is a traditional Indian sweet dish which is generally relished with pooris in Maharashtra. Poori is a fried whole wheat flatbread and during summers this combination of Aamras Poori is a must in almost all households whether rich or poor, then maybe just once or till the season of mango ends, as one has to wait an entire year for it till the next mango season arrives!
Aamras tastes wonderful by itself and with phulkas too, but not making Aamras Poori atleast once is a sin, I feel! Now, there are umpteen varieties of mangoes available in the market. Ratnagiri Haapus (Alphonso) being quite famous and costly and Paayari from Devgad are one of those preferred for aamras. Though basically it is Paayari Aambaa (Mango/Aam) which is most suitable to make Aamras due to it’s unique taste.
Aamras is very simple and easy to prepare and some might wonder what is so great about it. But you really need to taste it with pooris to understand it. Cardamom powder added to it for only enhances it’s flavour, but also has some medicinal values. Many a times this dish of Aamras Poori is teamed with Sukki Bataatyachi Bhaaji for a complete Maharashtrian meal. And that’s exactly what I did today relishing it with some mom’s homemade pickle!
For some more delicious mango dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Aambyaa Saasav
- Kairi Udid Methi
- Ghotaa Aambat
- NKGSB Style Sweet And Sour Raw Mango Chutney
- Kairi Pachadi
Here’s the recipe for the most delicious Aamras….
Prep Time : 25 min
Serves : 7-8
- 2 cups Mango Pulp (Obtained from Paayari Mangoes)
- 2/3 cups Sugar… To be adjusted as required
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- To make Aamras, first thoroughly rinse all the mangoes under clean water and set aside.
- Next, peel them and squeeze all it’s pulp and add it to a mixer grinder.
- Add sugar as required and give it a few pulses.
- Check the taste and add more sugar if required.
- If the sugar has been completely ground and has blended well with the mango pulp, transfer the aamras to a serving bowl.
- Add cardamom powder as desired and mix well. Refrigerate till serving time.
- Serve this most awaited and delicious Aamras with some Sukki Batatyaachi Bhaaji and pooris for a hearty meal!