Mandakki Oggarne is a unique upma from Karnataka, made using puffed rice. Generally upma, is made using semolina. But, once can find some more varieties of upma made from bread, leftover chapatis, vermicelli, etc.
The ingredients and method of cooking it are the same as that of semolina upma, except that some roasted peanuts are added to it. In this recipe, I have preferred adding jaggery for sweetness, but the same can be substituted by sugar or for people with health issues, with stevia!
For some more quick and delicious breakfast dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Prep Time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 10 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 8 cups Puffed Rice (Kurmure / Mumraa)
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped Onions (3 medium Onions)
- 3/4 cup Chopped Tomatoes (2 small Tomatoes)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 tsp Roasted Gram Powder
- 3-4 tsp Jaggery/Sugar …. To be adjusted
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt To Taste
For The Tempering :
- 3 tbs Oil
- 3 tbs Raw Peanuts
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 Green Chillies…. Chopped
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Udid Daal
For Garnishing :
- Chopped Corriander Leaves as desired.
- To Make the delicious Mandakki Oggarne, heat a pan and add oil to it for tempering.
- Add the mustard seeds, and as soon as they splutter add the asafoetida, green chillies, curry leaves and stir.
- Add the udid daal and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute. Cover and cook, which helps to hasten the cooking process.
- At the same time heat a small kadhai and add 2 teaspoons oil to it.
- Add the raw peanuts to the hot oil and saute for a minute on high heat and set aside.
- Now, check the onions and if they have turned translucent, add the turmeric powder and mix.
- At the same time, add the chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cover and cook till they turn mushy, which is done in almost 2 minutes.
- In the meantime soak the puffed rice in sufficient water for about a minute and drain immediately.
- Squeeze well and set aside.
- Next, add the roasted gram powder and jaggery to the onion tomato mixture and mix well.
- Add in the puffed rice, roasted peanuts, lemon juice and salt to taste and give it a good mix.
- Cover and cook, just for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve this delicious Karnataka Style Puffed Rice Upma for a nutritious and quick breakfast!