Jeeraa Rice is a very simple rice preparation using the aromatic basmati rice variety. Jeera i.e. cumin seeds are used to temper the basmati rice, which impart a unique and delicious flavour to it.
Basmati rice has been used since long in the traditional cooking of biryanis and pulaos due to it’s long grain aromatic flavour which goes very well with any spices and gravies too! Jeeraa Rice goes very well with Punjabi Gravies and aromatic daals!
Check out the following daals and gravies to be had with this delicious Jeeraa Rice….
- Mutter Paneer
- Daal Fry
- Murg Makhani
- Chole Masala
- Chicken Korma
- Daal Tadka
- Paneer Makhani
- Rajmaa Chaawal
For some more aromatic rice dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Jeeraa Rice ….
Prep Time : 10 min + 30 min (soaking)
Cooking Time : 20 min
Serves : 4-5
- 1 3/4 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 tsp Salt…. Approx
- 3 1/2 cups Water
For The Tempering :
- 2 tbs Homemade Ghee
- 1 1/2 tbs Cumin seeds
- To make the aromatic Jeeraa Rice, rinse the basmati rice atleast twice and soak it in sufficient water for half an hour.
- Use a pan to boil the mentioned quantity of water for cooking the rice.
- When it reaches a rolling boil, drain the soaked rice grains and add them to the boiling water alongwith the salt.
- Stir lightly to prevent the grains from sticking to the bottom.
- At this stage the temperature of the water might drop. Cook further on high heat till it once again reaches a boiling point.
- Next, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Continue without stirring with the lid closed, till the rice is fully cooked.
- Swtich off the heat and set it aside.
- Heat a small kadhai for tempering and add the ghee to it.
- When it heats up, add the cumin seeds. Switch off the heat as soon as they splutter add pour the tempering over the cooked rice.
- Give it a light mix and cover with a lid for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve this delicious and aromatic Jeera Rice with a delicious gravy of choice!
Pictures depicting the steps of cooking :