Daal Dhokli is a delicious dish from Gujarati cuisine. It is made using daal (lentils) and soft dhoklis made using whole wheat flour with some aromatic spices. This is a comfort meal, which is quick to cook and totally satisfying. This dish is almost a complete meal as it combines daal with whole wheat flour and is quite filling. Some even add raw peanuts to this dish while cooking the daal.
Daal Dhokli was introduced to us many years back, when we were invited by a dear friend for dinner before my marriage for my kelvan. Had loved this dish since then. Here I am sharing the same recipe which we learnt from that dear friend,a very talented lady, who was quite elder to me and is no more. This dish is dedicated to her and her loving memory!
For some more delicious Gujarati dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Daal Dhokli….
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 20 min
Serves : 4-5
- 1/2 cup Tuar Daal (Toor Daal / Split Pigeon Peas)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Corriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 1/2 tsp Tamarind Extract
- 8 tbs Jaggery
- 5 cups Water…. Approx
- Salt To Taste
For The Dhokli :
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbs Besan (Chickpea Flour)
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain (Carrom Seeds/Owaa)
- 1 cup Water…. Approx
- Salt To Taste
- 2 tsp Oil
For The Tempering :
- 4 tsp Homemade Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- 4 Cloves
- 2 sticks Cinnamon (1″)
- 10 Bor Marcha
For Garnishing :
- Chopped Corriander Leaves
- Homemade Ghee
- For the Daal Dhokli, first soak the tuar daal in sufficient water for about an hour and a half.
- Next, rinse it well at least thrice and transfer it to a cooking utensil.
- Add the turmeric powder and water, a little above the level of the daal and cover with a lid.
- Place the utensil in a pressure cooker and cook on high heat for about 3 whistles on high heat and then for 8-10 minutes on low flame.
- When the pressure releases naturally, open the cooker and extract the daal.
- Mash it well with a ladle and add the mentioned water, red chilli powder, corriander powder, cumin powder, tamarind extract, jaggery and salt to taste.
- Mix well and bring to a boil. Adjust seasoning as per taste.
- In the meantime, knead the dough for dhokli with the mentioned ingredients and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Roll it into a disc of about 9″, slightly thicker than a phulka.
- Cut it into to diamond shaped pieces and set aside.
- Add these dhoklis to the simmering curry and increase the flame to medium. Stir very carefully.
- After about 6-7 minutes of boiling, the daal will thicken and the dhoklis once cooked, will rise to the surface.
- Check seasoning and adjust as required. Switch off the flame and set aside.
- Heat a kadhai for tempering and add homemade ghee to it.
- Add the mustard seeds and as soon as they splutter, add the asafoetida, cloves, cinnamon and bor marcha.
- Pour it over the prepared daal dhokli and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it in individual bowls with a generous drizzle of homemade ghee!