Moogdaalichi Khichdi is a Maharashtrian dish where yellow moong daal is cooked with rice and tempered with aromatic spices. Moong daal is said to be quite nutritious and light to digest.
The spices used in this recipe are simple and yet impart a delicious flavour to the khichdi. We can find many different recipes for khichdi in every state of India. Khichdi being quite light to digest, is a preferred food by many in their daily meals!
The curry powder and spring onion greens used in the tempering, actually impart a very unique flavour to the khichdi. Alternatively, even sambaar powder can be used for the same. This delicious recipe was shared with me by my very dear school friend. I cannot describe here the extent of deliciousness, which the curry powder and spring onion greens created! The plain, tasteless khichdi was immediately transformed into a totally aromatic and flavourful one!
For more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
Here’s the recipe for MoogdaaLichi Khichdi….
Prep Tim : 20 min
Cooking Time : 15 min
Serves : 4
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1/2 cup Raw Rice Grains (kolam)
- 1/8 cup Yellow Moong Daal (yellow skinless split moong beans)
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Homemade Ghee
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
For The Tempering :
- 3 tbs Homemade Ghee
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 Green Chillies…. Chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves…. Roughly Crushed
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Curry Powder/Saambar Powder
- 1/2 cup Chopped Spring Onion Greens
- To make Moogdaalichi Khichdi, soak the yellow moong daal in sufficient water for about half an hour. When done, rinse it well and drain.
- Rinse the rice grains atleast thrice and drain out all the water.
- Transfer the drained moong daal and rice into a cooker container and add to it the turmeric powder, cumin seeds, ghee, mentioned quantity of water and some salt.
- Place the container in the cooker and cook covered for 5 whistles.
- Open the lid of the cooker only when the pressure releases naturally.
- Mash up the rice and daal and add some water to get a medium thick consistency. Add salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Heat a kadhai for the tempering and add ghee to it. When it heats up, add the mustard seeds.
- Next, when they crackle, add the asafoetida, chopped green chillies, curry leaves and crushed garlic.
- Stir and add the curry powder and the chopped spring onions greens.
- Stir for about half a minute and immediately pour the tempering over the cooked daal rice mixture.
- Give it a good stir and cook the khichdi again for a few minutes so that all the flavours assimilate into it.
- Switch off the flame and garnish the khichdi with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve this delicious Moogdaalichi Khichdi, with some roasted papad, fresh curds Phodnichi Koshimbir and Gaajar Flower Taaja Loncha by the side!