Sandwiches today are almost everyone’s favourite. And the types of sandwiches available today are so amazing with some healthy options available too! Sandwiches are basically some healthy foods stuffed between two bread slices with some chutneys, dips or spreads.
Nowadays, it is possible to make sandwiches totally healthy with the availability of whole wheat and even multigrain breads in the market. In this particular recipe which I am presenting today, I have used a number of vegetables to make it high on the health quotient! For this particular reason I have avoided deep frying the soya balls and have opted instead to roast them in a paniyaram pan with just a little oil as required.
These Veggie Soya Balls tasted great by themselves too and are apt as a snack for evenings with tea or for parties, as they can be pre prepared the previous day and crumb coated and stored in the freezer in an airtight container. This makes it easy to cook for parties!
The dips and sauces I have used are optional and can be changed as per taste, although I would love to mention that this combo tasted great! Again, non veg lovers can simply substitute the soya mince with a meat or fish mince of choice and use just potatoes instead of sweet potatoes if desired.
For some more delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
- Healthy Haraa Chanaa Peanut Sesame Balls
- Tiranga Pasta (Tri Coloured Pasta)
- Fusion Chickoo Tacos
- Tiranga Paneer Tikka
- Tandoori Chicken Coleslaw Toast Sandwich
- Pesarattu Pizza And Wraps
- Paneer Soy Broccoli Pockets
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Veggie Soya Balls Sub Sandwich….
Prep Time : 30 min
Cooking Time : 6 min
Serves : 4 (12 Soya Balls))
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 4 Submarine Breads
- 1 cup Soya Chunks
- 3 cups Water (For soaking the soya chunks)
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Boiled Sweet Potatoes (2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Green Peas
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped Carrots
- 1/2 cup Corriander Leaves
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Onions (1 Onion)
- 7 Medium Garlic Cloves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3/4″ Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Corriander Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- 4 tbs Cornflour
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering :
- 3 tbs Oil
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 1/2 tbs Ginger Garlic Green Chilli Mince
For The Coating :
- 1 1/2 tbs Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 cup Fresh Breadcrumbs (3-4 Slices Bread)
Other Ingredients For The Sandwich :
- 4 tbs Cheese Spicy Chilli Garlic Spread
- 4 tsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonise
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Yellow, Red, Green Bell Peppers
- Cucumber Slices/Avocado Slices
- Tomato Slices
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Feta Cheese…. Optional
- To make Veggie Soya Balls Sub Sandwich, start with soaking the soya chunks in hot water for about 15 minutes.
- The chunks will puff up and double in size. Drain out all the water and rinse the chunks in fresh water atleast twice or thrice.
- Once rinsed well, squeeze out all the water and pulse the chunks in a food processor or mixer grinder to get a coarse mixture. Set aside till further use.
- Mince the ginger, garlic and green chillies very finely and set aside. Chop the corriander leaves too.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. When it heats up, add the cumin seeds. As soon as they splutter, add the fennel seeds and asafoetida.
- Add to it the ginger garlic green chilli mince and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped onions to it and saute till they turn translucent. Cook further for a few minutes more.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the coarse soya mixture, chopped carrots and the green peas and give it a good mix.
- Add the red chilli powder, corriander powder, garam masala powder and some salt. Saute and cook covered on low heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the soya mixture and veggies are well cooked, switch off the flame and set the mixture aside to cool down completely.
- Assemble this cooled mixture alongwith the grated boiled sweet potatoes, chopped corriander leaves, chaat masala, cornflour and salt to taste in a mixing bowl.
- Mix all together and shape into balls and set aside.
- Mix together the rice flour and water to form a slurry.
- Pulse the bread slices in a food processor or mixer grinder to get breadcrumbs.
- Dip each soya ball in the slurry and then in the breadcrumbs. Coat well with the breadcrumbs and place it in a dish.
- Refrigerate these crumb coated balls for about 20-30 minutes.
- To make the crispy veggie soya balls, heat a paniyaram pan and add some oil to each hollow.
- Place the prepared soya balls in each greased hollow and roast on all sides till crisp.
- Transfer the prepared crispy veggie soya balls to a dish and set aside.
- Mix together the mayonise and chopped bell peppers. Assemble all the other ingredients for the sandwich.
- Slice each sub bread horizontally. Apply cheese spicy chilli garlic spread and red chilli sauce on one side of the bread.
- Place lettuce on it topped with some crumbled feta cheese.
- Arrange the tomato and cucumber slices over it and place the the crispy soya balls over this salad.
- Apply the mayonise bell peppers mixture to the other slice and close the sub sandwich.
- Serve these delicious and nutritious Veggie Soya Balls Sub Sandwiches for parties or just for breakfast or a fun dinner!
- Or, just serve these crispy soya balls as a starter for parties alongwith some delicious Veg Hyderabadi Paalak Soya Biryani and some cooling Boondi Raita by the side!