Chicken Pulao is actually a rice preparation made using chicken stock cubes. Chicken is not used in this dish, rather the pulao is garnished with green peas. This is a Goan dish which was always made by our Goan neighbour. She would always share it with us, and it became my kid’s favourite.
Learnt this recipe from her and started making it at our home too. I have used the imported chicken cubes here, which have a strong flavour. If using Indian made cubes, you might require two or three more cubes as they have comparatively a less strong flavour! The cubes impart a subtle, delicious and unique flavour to the rice which goes very well with any veg or non veg gravy. But in reality, the pulao tastes delicious in itself even without any accompaniment and that’s exactly how I prefer to have it!
For some more rice dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4-5
- 1 3/4 cups Basmati Rice
- 2 medium Onions
- 1 1/2 medium Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 3 Chicken Maggi Masala Cubes (Imported ones)
- Salt to taste…. If at all required
- 3 1/2 cups Water
For The Tempering :
- 2 tbs Oil
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks (1.5″ each)
- To make Chicken Pulao, rinse the rice grains twice and soak in clean water for about half an hour.
- In the meantime chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat a saucepan and add oil to it. When it heats up add the cloves and cinnamon.
- When they splutter, add the onions and saute till translucent.
- At this point add the tomatoes and saute further till mushy.
- At the same time heat the water for the rice. Crush the chicken cubes slightly and add to the water. Stir to mix till they melt completely.
- Drain the soaked rice and add to the sauteed onion tomato mixture.
- Mix well and add the boiled water to it. Stir and check seasoning. Add salt only if required.
- When the entire mixture comes to a rolling boil, reduce the flame and cover with a lid.
- Cook covered on low flame till the rice is fully cooked.
- In the meantime, boil the green peas in a little water and garnish the cooked pulao with them.
- Relish this delicious Chicken Pulao with some salad or just serve it along with some delicious gravy like Methi Murg or Mutter Paneer!