Chickoo is not only a delicious fruit but a highly nutritious one too. It’s main feature is that it provides our body with iron. With the arrival of winters, the markets are flooded with a lot of seasonal fruits including chickoos.
Nowadays we even get dried chickoo chips for healthy snacking. For breakfast or for the evening snack, we all need something filling as well as nutritious, without compromising on the taste. Racked my brains to create something new and delicious using this awesome fruit and came up with this idea where I have created a fusion of tacos with our Indian chaat in the most unique way by using chickoos as the base!
Here, the chutneys can be prepared beforehand and refrigerated till use. The sweet potatoes too can be pre boiled and stored in the refrigerator. So basically, most of the task can be completed beforehand, making the task levels easier!
This dish turned out delicious and was a hit with my family. The caramelised sweet potatoes complement the chickoo tacos very well. And you won’t believe it, but the spicy green chutney goes very well alongwith the pomegranate chutney and lifts the overall taste to a different level!
For some more unique and delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…..
- Tandoori Chicken Coleslaw Toast Sandwich
- Bhoplyaache Ghaargae
- Corn Oats Semolina Pancakes
- Pesarattu Pizza And Wraps
- Creamy Tofu In Mint Wraps
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Fusion Chickoo Tacos…..
Prep Time : 35 min
Cooking Time : 3 min/taco
Serves : 9 (yields 36 tacos)
For The Chickoo Tacos :
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 chickoos
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tsp Homemade Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 2 pinches Salt
- Chaat Masala as required
- Homemade Ghee as required for roasting the tacos.
For The Topping :
- 2 cups Caramelised Diced Sweet Potatoes …. boiled
For The Caramel :
- 6 tbs Brown/Dermererra Sugar
- 4 tbs Water
For Garnishing :
- Nylon Sev
- Grated Cheese
- Kothimbir Pudina Chutney
- Pomegranate Chatpati Chutney
For The Pomegranate Chatpati Chutney:
- 3/4 cup Pomegranate Juice (1 Pomegranate)
- 1-2 tbs Water
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Chaat Masala
- 2 pinches Black Salt
- Salt to taste
- For the Fusion Chickoo Tacos, start with making the chutneys.
- To make the pomegranate chutney, grind the peeled pomegranate and pass through a sieve.
- Using a little water, grind the pulp again and pass it through the sieve.
- In a pan, heat together the pomegranate juice extract, sugar, and the other mentioned ingredients for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir till it thickens a bit. Transfer to a container and let cool.
- To make the Chickoo Tacos, grind the deseeded chickoos along with the peels together milk and sugar to get a smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add the whole wheat flour, vanilla essence, homemade ghee and salt. Knead to get a smooth dough without using any water.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out some dough into a big disc of medium thickness. Use some flour for dusting while rolling.
- With a circular cookie cutter, cut discs of about 2.5″ out of it. Pierce each disc lightly with a fork.
- Repeat this process with all the remaining dough.
- Heat a griddle and grease it with some homemade ghee.
- Roast the chickoo taco discs on it as you would roast a roti using some homemade ghee.
- Transfer to a dish and set aside till further use.
- Heat a pan and add the sugar and water for the caramel. As soon as it melts, add the diced boiled sweet potato and toss to cover it with the caramel sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Other option, which too tastes delicious is to avoid caramelising the boiled sweet potato and just sprinkle some chaat masala over them.
- To assemble the fusion tacos, smear some corriander mint chutney on each taco.
- Place about a tablespoon of the caramelised sweet potato or the plain one on it.
- Top with some chaat masala and grated cheese and heat it on a hot griddle on low heat for a minute.
- Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle some Pomegranate Chatpati Chutney and some corriander mint chutney too, over it.
- Garnish with some nylon sev and the Fusion Chickoo Tacos are ready to be served!