Pudding is a type of food that can either be a dessert or a savoury non sweet dish as a part of the main meal. Puddings can be baked, steamed or boiled and it’s definition varies in few countries.
We get umpteen recipes for puddings on the net, but what better than following your favourite baking master? I am not a trained chef, but have learnt baking by watching other chefs, learning from magazines, recipe books, friends or family!
I’ve always loved puddings, especially the caramelised ones! Another favourite of mine is white chocolate. So when I thought of making this pudding, I decided to add the white chocolate chips lying around in my refrigerator.
Made this awesome pudding with slight changes and my own white chocolate touch which is totally optional! And the uniqueness of this recipe is that the caramel has to be poured from the top before baking, which during the process dives in and settles down at the bottom of the pie dish.
Went on further to create this delicious dessert wherein the warm pudding is topped with vanilla ice cream, caramelised bananas and walnuts and a drizzle of some Strawberry Sweet Lime compote! The tartness of the compote helps to cut in the richness this dessert and gives it a delicious tangy edge!
For more sweet dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too…
3. Goan Batk
Here’s the recipe for Banana Caramel Pudding…..
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 40 min
Serves : 8
Cup Used : 200 ml
- 1 1/2 cup Flour (Maida… 125 gm)
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar (115 gm)
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1 Large banana
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 1/4 cup Milk (250 ml)
- 1/4 cup White Chocolate Chips…. Optional
For The Caramel :
- 3/4 cup Brown/Dermererra Sugar (125 gm)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tbs Honey
For Garnishing :
1. Caramelised Bananas And Walnuts :
- 4 tbs Brown/Dermererra Sugar
- 4-5 tsp Water
- 1 Large Banana…. Sliced
- 2 tbs Chopped Walnuts
3. Vanilla Ice Cream
- To make Banana Caramel Trifle Pudding, sieve together the flour and baking powder thrice and set aside.
- Add the caster sugar and the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Break open the egg in another mixing bowl and whisk it with a fork.
- Add the peeled banana and smash it well with the fork.
- Add in the milk, vanilla essence and the melted butter and mix well.
- Add to this the dry mixture and mix it well.
- Pour it in a 1.5 ltr baking pie dish and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add the brown sugar, water and honey to it.
- Stir on low to medium heat. As soon as the sugar melts, pour it over the pudding mix.
- This caramel settles at the bottom of the pie dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180° C for 40 min or till it is slightly browned.
- When done, let it cool down slightly.
- In the meantime, heat a pan and add the brown sugar and water to it for caramelising the bananas and walnuts.
- As soon as the sugar melts, add the banana slices and walnuts and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Swtich off the flame and let cool.
- To serve, scoop out a spoonful of the warm pudding, scraping along the bottom caramel and transfer it to the serving bowl.
- Top with some vanilla ice cream and caramelised bananas and walnuts.
- Drizzle with some sweet and tangy Strawberry Sweet Lime Compote to cut in the richness of the pudding and serve it during parties!