Tavaa Pulao is a famous street food from Mumbai. Originally it was prepared using paav bhaaji and rice cooked with some whole spices and mixed on a huge tavaa with some butter. You could find this on the streets of certain areas in Mumbai.
But of late, the method of preparing this pulao has changed. The tavaa used by these vendors is quite thick and huge too. They add a lot of butter and directly cook the vegetables on it. The vegetables are kept a little crisp and rice and spice powders are then added to it. I had observed a vendor doing this at an eatery.
I have made this pulao exactly on these lines, and the result was delicious! I have served some cooling boondi raita along with it, but you can even serve it with some salad! Again, you can add vegetables of your choice. I have added all three coloured bell peppers just to increase the health quotient of this dish.
For more such delicious dishes, do take a look at the following recipes too….
Here’s the recipe for the delicious Tavaa Pulao….
Prep Time : 20 min
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Chopped Onions (1 Large Onion)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Tomato (1 Tomato)
- 1 Potato …. Boiled and Diced
- 3/4 cup Cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/4 cup Chopped French Beans
- 1/4 cups Green Peas
- 1/4 Green Bell Pepper …. Diced
- 1/4 Red Bell Pepper …. Diced
- 1/4 Yellow Bell Pepper …. Diced
- 1 Green Chilli …. Slit lengthwise
- 3/4 tbs Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bedgi Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Paav Bhaaji Masala
- 1 1/2 tbs Oil
- 1 1/2 tbs Butter
- 4-5 cups Water for the rice
- To make the Tavaa Pulao, first wash the rice in clean water and soak it in sufficient water for about half an hour.
- Heat water for cooking the rice. When it comes to a rolling boil, add the soaked rice and cook till almost done.
- Drain and set aside till further use.
- In the meantime, wash all the vegetables and chop as per desired size.
- Heat a saucepan and add the oil to it. When it heats up, add the butter and the slit green chilli.
- Saute and add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Now add the onions and saute till translucent.
- Add to it the turmeric powder and the red chilli powders and mix.
- Add the cauliflower florets and saute. Cover and cook for a while.
- When the cauliflower is half cooked, add the tomatoes, french beans, carrots, green peas and the bell peppers.
- Add the paav bhaaji masala and mix well.
- Saute the vegetables on high to medium heat till almost done and add the boiled potato cubes.
- Add the cooked rice, salt to taste and some of the chopped coriander leaves and mix lightly.
- Close the lid and give it a good steam!
- Garnish with fresh corriander leaves and serve the delicious Tavaa Pulao with some Boondi Raita by the side!